Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Throttle issue

Throttle issue

I just did a top end rebuild and my problem seems to be this, When I start it it idles good but give it any throttle at all and it dies. Any idea,s?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckydoo View Post
    I just did a top end rebuild and my problem seems to be this, When I start it it idles good but give it any throttle at all and it dies. Any idea,s?
    What are you working on? Did you do a carb rebuild also? Is your accelerator pump working?

throttle

Its a 1996 seadoo spx. I cleaned the carb up and took apart but did not rebuild. everything looked good. Not sure if pump is working, how do you tell?

+1
    How do define define "everything looks good"? You can have cracked mica discs in the fuel pump & not notice it. Were the diaphragm dampers in the pump body nice & flat or were they kinda warped and stretched looking? Did you check the bowl diaphragms for cracks or excessive stretch? Just some things to look for...

If the accelerator pump is working, you can hear the fuel squirting into the throat of the carb when you pull the trigger.

If your fuel pump isn't working, the plugs will be dry and it won't run.

Taking tha carb apart is similar to a rebuild, Main thing is to inspect all gaskets, Did you clean the passages out? Did you clean the tiny fuel filter? Do you still have grey fuel lines to be replaced? Are the hi and low speed needles set? are you running fresh fuel?

+1
    It is easy to switch the fuel lines on a single carb unit. They will often run on the return line but not have any power.

Make sure the line going to the fuel pump side is the one coming from the filter bowl. Also check that the pulse line is all the way on and tight.

Thanks everyone for the help. While the cylinders were out getting bored I changed all the grey lines. I did take the carb apart and clean it well. I did check for cracks and problems but may have missed something, who knows? I thought that the pump would have to be working for it to idle which it does. When you say you can hear the fuel as you pull the trigger is that with the engine running? I thinking maybe just pick up the rebuild kits and do the carbs, sort of a process of elimination. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    It is easy to switch the fuel lines on a single carb unit. They will often run on the return line but not have any power.

Make sure the line going to the fuel pump side is the one coming from the filter bowl. Also check that the pulse line is all the way on and tight.
    Isn't a '96 SPX Twin Carb. ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckydoo View Post
    When you say you can hear the fuel as you pull the trigger is that with the engine running? No, I don't know about you, but I can't hear schnizit with the engine running. I thinking maybe just pick up the rebuild kits and do the carbs, sort of a process of elimination. What do you think?
    Couldn't hurt. Unfortunately they don't sell kits for the accelerator pump. You'd think some company like WSM would be all over that. Gotta be a buck or two from those sales?

Hey guys making some progress I think. This is where I am now. It was a cracked pulse line that was the problem. Now When idling it changes idle speed all by it self. I will not keep a constant idle, and when I rev the engine it hesitates then goes up and when I release the throttle its slow at getting back to idle. What do you think is the problem now?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information