+1

does anyone have pics of swaintech coated pistons?

I want to get a better idea of what exactly they do to the pistons. I know its a ceramic coating however I was unsure what exactly they coat aside from the top of the pistons...

if anyone has pics or a link they could send me I'd appreciate it. I have both of my machines torn down to nothing right now and I'm debating on sending my pistons for my Lowell ported 1300 as well.

Mike

+1
    I do
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LH1300BB 024.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	138449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kevin's 1300 101.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	138453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kevin's 1300 102.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	983.3 KB 
ID:	138454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kevin's 1300 103.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1,004.7 KB 
ID:	138455  

+1
    Not Swaintech....Going to try this new coating soon. This is a spare 1390 Group K.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	097.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	138462   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	095.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	138471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	096.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	138472  

+1
    Kevin,

Is that similar to the gold coating that Swaintech has available? I was planning on having the gold done to all of my pistons...I am going to call Lowell in the AM to see if he has the specs on what he did with my pistons so I don't have issues with the skirts post-coating.

Bill,

thanks for the pics...they are pretty...did you opt for the stealth look?

+1
    I did just find an email from Lowell saying "I personally think it is a good idea to have the pistons TBC coated on the top & PC-9 on the skirts. Light buildup on the PC-9."
    "
    The engine will be set up with 1-2 thou (0.002") more clearance for the Wiseco pistons."

Now that should mean I'm good to go right? The coatings on the skirts I thought were less than that clearance wise so I'll be safe.

www.2-Stroke-Porting.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MJE View Post
    I did just find an email from Lowell saying "I personally think it is a good idea to have the pistons TBC coated on the top & PC-9 on the skirts. Light buildup on the PC-9."
    "
    The engine will be set up with 1-2 thou (0.002") more clearance for the Wiseco pistons."

Now that should mean I'm good to go right? The coatings on the skirts I thought were less than that clearance wise so I'll be safe.
    Hi Michael,

The Swain Tech TBC (Thermal Barrier Coating) is what is on Oside Bill's pistons. The Goldcoat is like the pics in Kevin's pics. The PC-9 is different in that it will stand up to wear. Most slip coats are like Teflon in a pan for cooking. Does not change piston size but impregnates the aluminum to provide less friction.

That is why I suggested the PC-9 be applied in a light coat. Because it will change piston clearance. The GoldCoat also changes squish clearance - about 7-8 thou /0.008". TBC is only 2-3 thou in thickness.

Jetting & EFI settings must be kept on the rich side. A lean condition will take out the engine very quickly. Don't rely on coatings to prevent a lean seizure. Keep the jetting rich and the coatings will extend the piston life. The coatings help make a forged Wiseco piston closer to a cast piston.

I hope this helps.

Lowell

+1
    helps a ton as usual Lowell. Based on that I'll stick with the TBC coating instead of the gold coating. Would it be safe on my ported 1300 you did last year to have the same exact coating put onto those cylinders? I also broke down my 1300 completely, ordered a new set of rings and a few gaskets to be on the safe side...hit it with a parts washer and taped like a mad-man in preparation for hours of glass beading followed by fresh marine paint/clearcoat to eliminate ALL corrosion. The walls on the 1300 looked perfect btw...there was a tiny amount of blow-by on the pistons (where the rings sit there are slight burn marks...but it doesn't extend below the ring surface area. Anyways I have all 6 pistons packaged up...shipping out tomorrow morning when UPS actually shows up and does their damn job for once. So TBC on tops, light coating on skirts?

I ordered standard sized piston rings from yamaha for the ported 1300...I am almost 100 percent positive that they were a standard size...if you could elaborate before I mess something up that'd be great.

thanks,

Mike

www.2-Stroke-Porting.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MJE View Post
    helps a ton as usual Lowell. Based on that I'll stick with the TBC coating instead of the gold coating. Would it be safe on my ported 1300 you did last year to have the same exact coating put onto those cylinders? I also broke down my 1300 completely, ordered a new set of rings and a few gaskets to be on the safe side...hit it with a parts washer and taped like a mad-man in preparation for hours of glass beading followed by fresh marine paint/clearcoat to eliminate ALL corrosion. The walls on the 1300 looked perfect btw...there was a tiny amount of blow-by on the pistons (where the rings sit there are slight burn marks...but it doesn't extend below the ring surface area. Anyways I have all 6 pistons packaged up...shipping out tomorrow morning when UPS actually shows up and does their damn job for once. So TBC on tops, light coating on skirts?

I ordered standard sized piston rings from yamaha for the ported 1300...I am almost 100 percent positive that they were a standard size...if you could elaborate before I mess something up that'd be great.

thanks,

Mike
    Hi Mike,

Yes do the same with the 1300. Go with the regular coat of PC-9 - ask for a 0.001" thick coating on the used pistons. The rings are all the same as far as I know from OEM. Check the end gap on the rings, in the cylinder they are goint to run in, when you get them. You always seem to get some caramel color under the rings from the oil burning onto the piston.

Lowell

Thread Information