Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Flipping 250x while idling

Thinking of taking my 250x to a family reunion which means it will likely get flipped by someone. Most likey when idling to/from the dock. It would be on a lake. Am I likely to have any problems just flipping it back over? Will it take on water if it is flipped over while idling? I assume the cutoff switch will kill the engine and the gaskets around the seats, etc will keep the water out long enough to flip it back over. (rolling it the direction of the arrow of course) Figured this would be the first time I use the low power key.

Doubtful that it will even flip

I have been riding my '07 250x in the Chesapeake Bay (always 2-3+ ft waves) at all speeds for the last three summers and have yet to have it flip even once. If your relatives manage to flip that thing on a lake I will be impressed If you are really worried, keep it to 2 or less riders and give them the slow key. I can't give any advice about getting it right sides up as I have yet to need to.

Gee a pre-meditated water intrusion??? could someone get convicted of this?

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKawi View Post
    I have been riding my '07 250x in the Chesapeake Bay (always 2-3+ ft waves) at all speeds for the last three summers and have yet to have it flip even once. If your relatives manage to flip that thing on a lake I will be impressed If you are really worried, keep it to 2 or less riders and give them the slow key. I can't give any advice about getting it right sides up as I have yet to need to.
    just because you haven't flipped it doesn't mean it can't be flipped... i know mine has rolled twice, i know two others that have rolled as well.

and as far as taking it to a reunion. leave it at home.... its alot less headaches and shit to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by djy8131 View Post
    Thinking of taking my 250x to a family reunion which means it will likely get flipped by someone. Most likey when idling to/from the dock...
    Sounds like a fun family!

I agree that boarding and transporting passengers poses bigger risk of flipping than normal riding. I think ski can be surprisingly tippy at slow speeds (esp slow sharp right turn) with multiple passengers.

My ski has never come close to flipping in big waves, but Ive had a few ejections and very near rollovers while trying to board multiple passengers in open water.

The Ultra's off throttle power surge is very difficult to explain to new riders. And feathering the reverse? Its easy with some practice but can flummox the beginner. SHUT OFF ENGINE 100ft FROM SHORE! I dont know what is so difficult about the instruction but there is often a low rate of compliance which is problematic when you are on a rocky, barnacled shore.

So, with these quirks and the sheer horsepower,
    I am very careful who I let ride the Ultra. I give very long, detailed instructions which may cause people to say forget it, too much hassle. I dont care who they are related to because as the registered owner, I may be responsible if they get injured or cause damage. And I dont want anything like that ruining fun with friends or family.

Agree w/ Blue! IMO you are just asking for trouble taking this boat to a family reunion. Someone could get on that thing and really damage themselves or something / someone else. It is easy for most of us here to forget how fast / quick these things are because we are on them all the time. It's not what you are doing with the family that's important. What's important is the fact you all get together to share some memories and have a good time . . .

I would def keep it to 2 riders

Now that I think about it more I must admit that my 250x was feeling a little tipsy 2 weekends ago w/ 3 riders. I feel like I am a pretty competent rider so I can see how a first time rider could flip it in that scenario.

That being said I think it would be quite difficult to flip a 250x on a lake if you keep it to a minimum of 2 riders (driver + 1 passenger) and make them use the slow key. That's not saying your ski won't get messed up - I just think it is more likely that it eats a piling than flips.

Last time (with a rental ski) it was a heavy person trying to board from the side.

Quote Originally Posted by djy8131 View Post
    Last time (with a rental ski) it was a heavy person trying to board from the side.
    I know this scenario pretty well also! People need to be shown exactly how to use that rear boarding step.

This is especially true if you ride in cold water. Some people panic and try to scramble aboard as soon as possible. Ive seen several people try to board from side of ski but no one has ever made it.

To me, driving slow and manuvering with 3 on ski is way more tricky than it looks or sounds. Ive been the driver struggling to keep ski upright and the 3rd person who steps aboard and dumps everyone off! I realized then that I could no longer blame everyone else's total lack of coordination! Its very hard to get everyone to lean the right way in unison in order to make the save and avoid rollover once you get past a certain point which can come very quickly.

2c

Three on the ski - too many for me

unless, of course, they are hot chicks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information