Newb needs info on stx-12f please help!

Hey all... new to this site and im really enjoying it so far! Im looking to get a ski for my wife and I to play on this summer. I actually bought a seadoo rx di, early summer and swiftly sold it after doing some research on them (sorry seadoo guys).

We are looking for something 55+ mph, reliable, and fun. I was told go with Kawi or Yamaha, and managed to find what I think may be a good deal on a stx-12f. Its a '04 Kawi Stx-12f w/ 132 hours. It was family owned serviced and used by the original owner. The ski is in what appears pretty good shape witha trailer and all for $4k.

My question is, is this a good deal? Is this alot of hours for a five year old ski if well maintained? And what should I ask or look for particular to this model. Also will this model ski be able to meet the wants of what my wife and I are looking for in a ski? Lastly, what is the compression spec on this ski, and is compression vital to check on a 4 stroke as it is on a two? Thanks, any help is apprecaited. - Jimmy

My opinion it is not a great deal for an 04. That is not a lot of hours. Not sure about top speed on this model. You can get a 2008 stx-15f for 5999.00 new leftover from Kawi with 0 hours. You will then have to get a trailer and pay tax but for under 7g's have a brand new ski with warranty. Top speed with the 15f should be around 60 mph.

David

I wasnt sure if that was alot of hours or not. Glad to hear its not... Are there any common problems or things I should look out for regarding this ski? Also I cant afford another $3k for a new one, even if they are a smoking deal right now. So if $4k isnt a good deal what would be? Thanks again!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulltitl429 View Post
    I wasnt sure if that was alot of hours or not. Glad to hear its not... Are there any common problems or things I should look out for regarding this ski? Also I cant afford another $3k for a new one, even if they are a smoking deal right now. So if $4k isnt a good deal what would be? Thanks again!
    The 12f runs about 54mph top speed. 4k seems a little high, but if its a clean ski try offering $3500 and maybe you can meet in the middle?

Yeah 54 is cool for my wife and I for now... Im hoping to get a fast ski in the fall when prices come down maybe a 260x or something... It is pretty clean except a few small scratches in the nose, I was hoping to be able to get it for $3700 but the guy is the original owner and is trying to get as much as he can for it. Anyone know what compression should be on this ski? And anything else I should look out for bieng it has 132 hours?

I would take a flashlight and look into the pump area from the back of the boat. Look for any "rock damage" in there. Look at the bottom of the hull to see if it has been violently beached. There shouldn't be any major scratches on the bottom of the hull. Normal scratches running "fore and aft" are ok. I would pull out the Dispstick and make sure there is only oil on it. Any water on that dipstick and you can stop right there; could be indicative of major engine issues. Lastly, why don't you meet that person at a dealership you trust and have a mechanic check it out? It may cost ya a bit, but if it passes a good mechanics inspection that will be worth the peice of mind. If the boat has been well taken care of I do not think 132 hours is too much.

I bought a 06 12F with 37 hours on it for 5K, everything looked great, ran great for two weeks... I ended up putting a new rebuilt engine in it. I would never buy another used one no matter what. You can find great deals on a older model new one with 0 hours and a warranty, but a good used clean trailer and your set. Happy for years knowing you have warranty!

Thread Information