Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Would you let someone ride your PWC w/o an operators card?

A bunch of guys from work and myself are planning on getting together at a cabin on the lake to do some boating and other water related activities... however, I'm the only one with a PWC. I probably won't let them use my PWC because 1) Havn't broken it in yet... still under the 10 hours.... and second, none of them except maybe one has an operators card.

My question is, if you were in my shoes, would you allow someone to use your PWC without an operators card? What if they get stopped and asked "Hey, do you have a card?"

I've already made up my mind that I'm not allowing them to use it, for fear of them breaking something... but I'm curious what the authorities would actually do if someone really was caught? What happens to the owner of the vessel and what happens to the rider? I think the rider gets a fine... I'm just more curious as to what happens to the owner? Does this affect his insurance?

+1
    It's different for you, living in the land of crowded lakes with lots of cops.
    So, break-in your ski yourself by pulling your buds on tubes, boards, and skiis. Then I would let a couple of skilled and sober buds take it for a close by only spin with NO goofing off, in "learner mode". There is a $250.00 fine payable for not having a PCOC, but a warning is more likely. If there is an incident which the cops attend, it could get ugly, much more than the fine.
    Remember, the PCOC is a tax just like gun registration. Lots of idiots have boater cards and registered guns.

+1
    That's what I figured as well, but there is no penalty for the owner of the craft?

+1
    Never lend your watercraft. Especially one like yours.
    I would guess that 60-80% of watercraft hull damage comes from being lent out.

Man I let my brother drive my ski twice and I was nervous as all hell and I was even on a boat watching him the whole time..... Oh and of course made him use the learners key. Wouldn't let anyone drive it unless you really really trust them and if they have money to replace it too.... lol

+1
    Lot's of good advise coming your way. You will be in deep chit if a buddy on your ski causes damage, or injures someone. So, since you have a "X", screw your buddies. They can get their own ski. Take 'em for scary rides, and pull 'em on tubes. Best riding advise: Keep your head on a swivel to avoid collisions. Assuming you're in complete control of your own vessel, at all times, focus your attention on what all the other riders and boaters, in your line of sight are doing. A typical bonehead move is for a rider to look left, and turn right. You have the speed advantage which could also compound impact intensity.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    my 2 cents
    have it "break" a day or 2 before hand ,then just go and relax
    use some of YOUR other time to use YOUR ski..
    sounds harsh -but so does being paranoid all day and/or the ***hole for not letting people use YOUR stuff.....
    mattman

FUCK NO!

responsiFUCKability

Would you loan your car/truck to someone without a license?

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    Would I lend my ski to someone without a PCOC card?

NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!! It's my baby.

Even if someone had the card, they'd need to prove to me that they're responsible. It's a lot of horsepower to hand someone.

If they have any sense, they would understand your reluctance to loan them your baby without proof of competence.

Imagine riding a motorbike without a license...

Imagine facing those guys Monday morning after one of them wrecked your ski... or worse

+1
    NO.

Never.

Even if they have an operator's card, I'm still edgy. At the end of the day you're the one whose a$$ is on the line, as you're the registered owner. I would be more worried if they t-boned someone's big shiny yacht, or ran over a wakeboarder. Civil liability is the theme of the day, and I'm not sure your insurance would cover anything if you let an unlicensed rider drive your ski. (no legal background here, just my $0.02)

If you have a nice new ski (and you do! less than 10 hrs? Get out on the water more!! ), there's more than enough power to get seriously hurt. Hell, even an old ski in the wrong hands can be plenty dangerous.

I would have to agree with M447 and Swamp King. Take em for rides but that's it. Sucks for them, but they can go online and do the test for $50, and maybe rent skis. Or if it would make you feel better, you could still lend your ski but make them get their card online first... but if you're familiar with how easy it is to get it, the card doesn't mean proof of competency.

Note: this isn't to say your co-workers are idiots, but inexperience and a party atmosphere isn't always the best mix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information