Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

The ISR 650SC (Sea Couch) build

A little project, copied from our local forum here in perth.

The Sea Couch[tm]

On the weekend i fulfilled a self goal of purchase ive had for a while, and that is a jet ski thats far from a freestyler, or a highspeed straight liner, and its surely not a buoy to buoy g-force demon .... its a Kawasaki JL650SC.

The SC stands for Sport Cruiser, but i much prefer .... Sea Couch.

I like the polar extremes, i like the Supra, and i like the Hiace because it is everything the Supra isnt.I have a very fast 660cc X2, and a soon to be finished faster yet Pro785, but a SC is a ski ive wanted for years. Its basically a 650 with a bench seat and reverse. Ive wanted one to enjoy some cruising on the river with Mira, and some summer scenic tours around the coast.

Not planning on making it too fast, just mild for a bit of fun. Shall do a carb, remove oil inj, do a trick pump and prop, ISR head and perhaps a exhaust ... but thats it. Clean it up nice and its done.

Last night i looked at it, and one part of me says "put fuel in it" and another says "pull the motor out, clean it, re-do fuel lines and the elec box, then ride it". I chose the latter. Within an hour i had the motor out, and only found two torn engine mounts. The fuel tank had a combo of sand, one 6mm nut, and some foreign flakes in it. But the fuel pickup was modified with tho Visufilters on the bottom , so rather than clean out whats in there, they just left it and put on two filters . The hitch is you have to pull the whole motor out if your doing the fuel tank clean.

Classic.

Late model silver motor

So so clean - like new.

+1
    Did some more work today between some other real work.

Engine bay all clean.

Stripped the streering off, pulled everything apart, cleaned and greased back up.

Re-assmebled

Here you can see the twin hole setups for steering slide locking

+1
    So i pull a few bits off, like the seize port (aka crankcase drain) and run a new blockoff across it, as with the oil pump. The i look at the starter motor and i see a bit of alloy on it ... i peer in under the manifold, and what i find next is amazing.

This motor has probably never been flushed ! (and the hoseclamp around the flush bung didnt give it away originally)

Its filled the lower cooling jacket with salt/calcium whatever it is buildup of sorts, that it blew the casting on the side of the cylinder right out !!!!. Ive never seen anything like it.

+1
    Well a few gifts it can use i guess ...

Bucket and ridepate are cracked and broken, so this came up at $20usd ...
    Ebay link

Mikuni SuperBN 44mm carb ($156aud @ .78 - really happy)
    Ebay link

+1
    I put a tiny bid on some drain plugs for the SC (oem one is beaten down) and i get a email in min ago "you won this item" at $2.05usd hahaha.

+1
    Bah its going from bad to worse ... haha.

The starter is covered in scaly rust, so i decide to remove it and give it a re-furbish. BANG.

Talk about things not going good. It wouldnt budge, so i have it a little tap from back, and then sideways with plastic mallet and it just fell off the case. You son of a ....

At what point i now look past the coupler and see the back of the dustcap, for the seal, and that its weepeing 2 stroke oil, and no doubt sucking air in too.

So 20 mins later im cleaning the crank in the kero bin - motor all stripped. Rods are ok, mains are a little tired, but i dont have the time to build cranks and bore it now, ill re-seal it, bead blast the cases, paint and put it all back together.

Started as a quick clean up last week ....

+1
    Ok update.

The cylinder cooling jacket that was all cracked, is now fixed. I shall snap some pics and exaplin how i did it.

The block is zero decked, and ill be doing a studless conversion on it, running 304s/s bolts on head and manifold, rather than the studs. I do this becuase the head has enough points of mounting, that at the relatively small 22-25ft/lbs you dont need studs. Plus, without studs, later on when you strip salt motors the head / exhaust manifold does not bind on the stud. Im juts going to give the ports a quick cleanup, nothing radical by any means, no altering port timing. Pics asap.

In the mean time i found a rideplate and bucket on ebay, got it for 20usd, as mine are both cracked / broken, thats a bargain.

Painted the steering wheel .... came out so nice. Back is a gunmetal / smoke metalic.

The front came out exactly as i wanted. There is a colour Honda uses on its motocross bike crank case items, such as clutch cover, cam covers etc etc, its a satin copper green gold you may call it ?. Its not champagne (half gold half silver) but its a great colour i want to run on my trademark colours for my engine builds, well i finnally found some and it came up superb. I did the stickers in a matt black.

In the sun that colour just comes alive.

More pics soon.

+1
    Some more parts.

Was going to cut a ISR head onto it , but it actually does cost me a bit to machine out and today i was offered this for $40. Mariner head high comp wide hemispherical head .... couldnt say no.

Being the retartded idiot i am and giving parts away, i now needed a 44mm inlet, so i got this one for $60. Like new.

Lot of filings falling out of that stock motor.

+1
    My parts arrived from Babbits and i was stoked.

Its a real shame when you can order a box of bits with freight for the same price you would pay here for a cable. Support local Kevin07 says ...

+1

Three way bilge switch arrived.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information