Warning light flashes

I have a 04 Yamaha Gp1300r With the riva racing upgrade in it. when i drive the Engine and overheat light comes on about once every hour. I turn the ski off and then it starts up and is fine. The engine does not smell or even feel hot . I know a lot of people are saying about d chips and heat sensors but i dont want to buy something if im not sure what it is. ANY suggestions

Thanx everyone

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brianf40us View Post
    I have a 04 Yamaha Gp1300r With the riva racing upgrade in it. when i drive the Engine and overheat light comes on about once every hour. I turn the ski off and then it starts up and is fine. The engine does not smell or even feel hot . I know a lot of people are saying about d chips and heat sensors but i dont want to buy something if im not sure what it is. ANY suggestions

Thanx everyone
    Welcome to GH!

Lets start out simple.... What upgrades do you have? More specifically does your ski have a dplate on it? Also is the exhaust temp sensor still attached and plugged into the side of electronics? If yes, then you need a resistor chip or you can just use a resistor to trick the computer.

The ski is stock from the factory with the Riva i did not do anything to it. It is the limited edition and im not sure if it has a plate or not and also where would the exhaust sensor be attached too.

Thanx for your help im trying to learn how to work on these skis so be as simple as you can. I DUMB hahahahahahaaha

Thanx

Probably has a D-Plate...

The temp sensor is in the exhaust, on top...towards the rear. 2 wire plug.

See if it's still connected...if so, then wire in a resistor, OR buy a 'temp chip'.

- brian

Thread Information