Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Supercharger Installation

sent Jerry two superchargers for rebuild/washer replacement few weeks ago and got them back, fast! thank you Jerry

getting ready to put them back in and reading the Sea Doo Service Manual... I know these components require precision so I have a couple questions about installation.

• manual says grease surface between PTO housing and supercharger with "Super Lube Grease"... assuming Mercury Marine Grease will work fine here... if not please let me know
    • manual says "Lubricate bearings with engine oil before installation"... I plan on skipping this as I figure they've already been oiled. If I need to do this please let me know
    • The manual says "proper torque and tightening sequence are important" referring to replacing the 3 bolts mounting the supercharger to the engine block. A special tool is needed to do this which I don't have. Would it be OK to guesstimate the torque or is the torquing and sequencing of these bolts critical?
    • Last Question, manual states "After Installation slipping moment has to be rechecked" - again I think a special tool is required. Is this necessary?

I know these manuals tend to over complicate things - however with the superchargers I want to make sure I'm not skipping anything important.

Thanks for time & help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FuLLTiLT View Post
    sent Jerry two superchargers for rebuild/washer replacement few weeks ago and got them back, fast! thank you Jerry

getting ready to put them back in and reading the Sea Doo Service Manual... I know these components require precision so I have a couple questions about installation.

• manual says grease surface between PTO housing and supercharger with "Super Lube Grease"... assuming Mercury Marine Grease will work fine here... if not please let me know
    Anti seize works just as well..All your doing is lubricating the O-rings so the SCer slides in OK.
    • manual says "Lubricate bearings with engine oil before installation"... I plan on skipping this as I figure they've already been oiled. If I need to do this please let me know
    It wouldnt hurt to dump a little oil on them before install....Most of us never do though..It will be fine unless they are fresh bearings with no oil at all on them..
    • The manual says "proper torque and tightening sequence are important" referring to replacing the 3 bolts mounting the supercharger to the engine block. A special tool is needed to do this which I don't have. Would it be OK to guesstimate the torque or is the torquing and sequencing of these bolts critical?
    Ive never ran into any issues with this..Put the 3 bolts in and tighten them down..
    • Last Question, manual states "After Installation slipping moment has to be rechecked" - again I think a special tool is required. Is this necessary?
    Depending on who rebuilt them and what Scer you have then yes.Ususally after a few hours of run time you want to pull it and recheck/reset the slip..

I know these manuals tend to over complicate things - however with the superchargers I want to make sure I'm not skipping anything important.

Thanks for time & help.

Banned User
    +1..We'll said SnoSno

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    +1..We'll said SnoSno

Thank You Snoman... Much Appreciated

Thanks Jerry for the quick turn around of my 2 superchargers. The hard thing about the install is putting the exhaust back in. Other wise it's not to bad...hope I didn't miss something, but I couldn't get the superchargers out without taking the exhaust out.

Is that correct? Any advise on putting that strap back on.

Thanks

Everthing louder than everything else! sHALlow's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by msjones54 View Post
    Thanks Jerry for the quick turn around of my 2 superchargers. The hard thing about the install is putting the exhaust back in. Other wise it's not to bad...hope I didn't miss something, but I couldn't get the superchargers out without taking the exhaust out.

Is that correct? Any advise on putting that strap back on.

Thanks
    notch a "v" into a large flat tip screw driver to help catch the clip, eat your spinach

+1
    I just put a little engine oil on the o-rings. Grease will get all over and attract dirt. If you skip loctite on the upper bolt you will make these WAY easier taking the s/c in and out. If you cant spin the upper bolt out by hand your going to be there for like 30 mins with a tiny wrench.

+1
    man a tdr or riva box makes taking the supercharger out worth the cost alone for the box imo.

+1
    Put the strap in sink with hot tap water for a few minutes and it stretches eaiser and the notched screwdriver helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information