Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

96 SL780 Engine Cuts Off

Past Sunday I was riding my SL780 which is being restricted (rpm 4160) due to gas float I think. I have a replacement on order. NEW problem, while ride run at about 38xx rpm the engine dies with a CLUNK. Can't restart sounds like battery is to weak to engage starter. I now that not true since I installed new battery, got it running and now its happen again today. Once again engine cuts off with a CLUNK and will not trun over after that for some period of time. Any ideas on what may be the problem?

Appologizes for the last user title katz1002's Avatar
    one cylinder may be heat siezing or waters getting in and water doesnt compress very well

check compression and when it does the clunk thing remove all the sparkplugs and try to turn it over let us know

Appologizes for the last user title katz1002's Avatar
    oh welcome to hulk

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check for obstruction in the jet pump.

If nothing is visible, you may need to remove the jet pump, and confirm that the impeller bearings are not jammed.

With the ski on a trailer I have looked up into the area behind the rock grate and see nothing that should be blocking the impeller. I have not removed the rock grate. should i to see if i can froce the water intake blades to turn. Once again strong battery but just a clunk when I try to start. Anyw help woudl be apprec.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tmassey View Post
    With the ski on a trailer I have looked up into the area behind the rock grate and see nothing that should be blocking the impeller.

I have not removed the rock grate. should i to see if i can force the water intake blades to turn.

Once again strong battery but just a clunk when I try to start. Any help would be appreciated.
    Best option is to remove the jet pump.

Not all that hard to do, and you will know right away if the problem is in the pump, or the engine.

ok. it may sound dumb but what do i look for after removing jet pump? sorry but eager to learn...

When you remove the pump you can then spin the impeller by hand, it should spin smoothly w/ no noise or roughness. If theres any noise then pump bearings are bad. Should be no water inside tailcone either.
    You may be heat seizing the motor when it just dies like that. Check your hi-speed mixture screw settings, and entire fuel system.

Quote Originally Posted by tmassey View Post
    Past Sunday I was riding my SL780 which is being restricted (rpm 4160) due to gas float I think. I have a replacement on order. NEW problem, while ride run at about 38xx rpm the engine dies with a CLUNK. Can't restart sounds like battery is to weak to engage starter. I now that not true since I installed new battery, got it running and now its happen again today. Once again engine cuts off with a CLUNK and will not trun over after that for some period of time. Any ideas on what may be the problem?
    That clunk sounds very familiar, new pump bearings solved the problem.(Make sure you reinstall the spacer between the bearings)

a newbie here... can you tell. anyway to remove the jet pump to inspect do i have to remove the ride plate or can that step be bypasssed? also will i need special tools just to remove and inspect the pump?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information