Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question Need some info on a 2008 FX HO cruiser

I have a 2008 FX HO Cruiser and I took it into the dealer for a 10 hour check and an oil change... got the ski back and now it won't turn over 5500 rpm's. Checked to see if they had put it in learning mode but its not... I put it in learning mode and it wouldn't even turn 5500 rpm's... How many rpm's does an FX Ho turn wide open anyhow? I don't normally ride this ski.. Another family member rides it.. She said it ran just fine before taking it into the dealer for its checkup... It idles perfectly and doesn't miss on acceleration... I am stumped... I called the dealer and they want to sell me new spark plugs saying that the gasohol that the stations sell around here is the problem... However the ski ran fine before going to the dealer and all my other skis run fine on the very same fuel... I"m kinda stuck on this one and not sure what to look for... Could the oil be overfilled causing the problem? If so I'll cuss the dealer out for that... Haven't checked the oil to see where it is on the dipstick and the ski isn't where I can check it till the weekend...

Any advice will be appreciated... Thank you for listening...

Carl

Could be that they over filled the motor oil and it is coming out of the breather and misting the air filter with oil. Try this: Remove the air filter and go for a ride. If you get the full 10,100RPM's out of it, then that is your problem. If not, then change the spark plugs. These two things are usually the problem on these skis. Good luck.

+1
    I would drag the damn thing back up to them and tell them to fix it. Then I would seriously consider going to another dealer from now. The bit about he gas being the casue sounds like a load of crap. If it's the same gas you always use, then it's NOT the problem.

+1
    Thanks guys for the advice... What number spark plugs does the FX HO use? I don't have the manual here to look it up and I want to buy them and change them when I get to the lake... I will look at the air filter too to see if its all misted up with oil from maybe being overfilled... If so the dealer will sure hear about it.

+1

problem with 2008 FX HO

Picked up a set of plugs from my local dealer and brought them to the lake to install them in the ski... Dealer considers these plugs gold as he charged 6.99 a piece for them... NGK CR9EB... Did so this afternoon and it totally cured the problem.. 30 hours on the plugs and they wouldn't let the ski rev over 6500 rpms... put the new plugs in and it revs to over 10,000 rpms... What is hard to grasp is that the ski started instantly and would rev to the lower rpm's and not go over it.. Dealer is blaming it on the 10% gasohol that we have to use around here and its eating up the plugs on these four strokes..
    My gpr 1300 still runs without a hitch on the same gas and without fouling plugs.. Will turn 7250 rpm's with over 100 hours on the same plugs.

Oh well you live and learn... Will put a set of those plugs in stock for when it wipes out this set...

Be sure to pull them and put a little anti-sieze on them if you did not have that with you at the lake. That is the procedure at the 10 hr check up also. It could be ok without doing that but it won't hurt.

+1
    Dealer charged for the 10 hour check and said he checked the plugs.. When I pulled them out there was no evidence of any anti-seize on the plugs. I didn't have any to put on the new ones but I'll bring some down with me next weekend and put some on the threads... thanks for the advice...

Yea, he probably didnt check the plugs. Dealers save time where they can.

+1
    My next door neighbor here at the lake has a 2006 FX HO and his ski wouldn't go past 47 mph... So I told him to go buy a set of plugs and i would change them for him.. I rode his ski first and it was doing the exact same thing that my FX HO had been doing... Installed the new plugs and the ski got well instantly... Seems that those CR 9 EB plugs foul with this garbage that they are selling for gasoline... gasahol... 10% ethenol. And the dealers are really taking advantage of it by charging an arm and a leg for plugs.. I paid 6.99 each for them. My neighbor went to a different dealer and paid 9.99 for the same plugs... Oh well you live and learn....

Anyway when the preformace drops off on those FXHO's bolt a new set of plugs in and that will usually fix the problem....

Ya know, you can clean fouled plugs.... You don't always have to buy new.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information