Need Help With an Interesting Problem - 02 GP1200R

Hello all, I'm looking for advice with a new problem. I had the ski out at the end of last year and it ran great. I topped off the tank and added stabil before storing for the winter. I took it out last week for the first time and it would not go over 40 mph and had a much lower, deeper tone to the exhaust. I tried putting the fuel selector switch on reserve and it did not change anything.

The only mods done to the ski are a D-plate and chip, and primer kit. Now if I pump the primer while I'm riding, it will surge and accelerate consistent with the pumps of the primer. I took the ski out of the water and played with it a little while on the trailer. I checked the plug wires and all were tight. Compression was a little low, at 100, 110, and 105, front to rear, but consistent. While idling, if I pull the rear spark plug wire off the plug, the rpms do not drop. If I do this with the other two cylinders, it almost stalls. I pulled the spark plug and grounded the plug on the head while running, and it is sparking away like crazy.

I'm thinking it is a fuel issue within the carbs and don't believe the rear cylinder is getting any fuel. But when I pump the primer, it delivers the fuel from an exterior line and this causes the surge. I currently have the carbs sent off to Island Racing for a rebuild and am hoping this is the problem. I was just wondering what you guys think in the meantime in case the problem turns out to be something else. Thanks for you help.

Sounds like you have the issue figured out. Wait to see what Carl says.

okay, thanks. I guess that explains the lack of responses?

As long as you have the pipe and carbs off, why not pull the head to confirm that everything is good in there.

That's not a bad idea, I might do that. Is the head gasket reusable?

Yes you can re-use the head gasket just get a can of copper spray to coat the gasket before you re-assemble the head.

Ok, thanks. I guess that's assuming it all comes apart in one piece!

Thread Information