97 GP760 - will cutout every 15 secs. please help (Long)

Background: this ski was garaged for 3 yrs with no gas and now taken out to be enjoyed. Fresh gas, new battery, 1-t-spoon oil in each cyl and starting fluid got it started over 2-3 weeks of trials.

My cluster does not come on for some reason. I sometimes see dim "0" in speed, and once or twice, It has come alive where i can press buttons and they will beep as well.

After bunch efforts, Now I can start the ski everytime I pull the main fuse out and put it back in - I can start it without choke or starting fluid. It runs anywhere between 10 seconds to half a minute. Lots of smoke, and the first time it ran for 10-15 seconds, it exhausted lil bunch of gray/black soot after that it was regular exhaust smoke. engine sounds Great! very smooth! no more soot or anything coming out the exhaust, just water. the pee-hole is fine as well with steady stream of water coming out.

However, I cannot keep it running - its almost like it cuts off the fuel supply after 5-10 seconds. Once it quits running i have to remove/replace the main fuse to enable starter again (fuse does not blow, but I guess resets something).

another thing I noticed is that the cluster is working somewhat - its just extremely dim (also no beeps - when you push buttons, and no beep when you insert safety plug). If i remove blue harness to reset code, the warning lamp comes on bright but no reaction when any button is pressed.

Once in an odd while (has hapened at least two times) that cluster will come on and buttons work) Doesn't seem to be getting enough power. I WD-40'd all connections behind the dash (in the front area) and then noticed couple harnesses under the cluster by the fuel pump/oil area as well (reddish maroonish harness - and a white one with multiple cables).

What does that red one do? It has electrical tape at one place that previus owner put on - I have to take it off and make sure the connections are good. I have not touched these harnesses yet.

What do I need to keep the ski running at this point? Should I take it somewhere to have carbs cleaned? I am very mechanically and electrically inclined (an engineer) but carbs are beyond me, besides thinking I may not even need carb work. Do you guys think I have some other issue? when I give gas, the engine does not bog down - it instantly gets revved high. Culprit seems to be the instrument cluster. Can I bypass it?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Stator issue, maybe?

It gets good spark. Could it still be stator? last t ran, it ran for about 20-30 seconds.

Sounds like carbs to me, remove the high and low screw and spray carb cleaner in the holes, then replace them making sure to screw them to exact same position (check before removal how many turns in, then back them out the same amount)

Quote Originally Posted by gkecorp View Post
    Sounds like carbs to me, remove the high and low screw and spray carb cleaner in the holes, then replace them making sure to screw them to exact same position (check before removal how many turns in, then back them out the same amount)
    Will try to do that tonight. What's the significance of tightening the screws to same amount? Should I use regular carb-cleaner spray or brake-parts-cleaner which is 10x more potent?

The significance is your throttle settings, low and high, if it runs right you dont want to change anything.Use regular carb cleaner, the other is too much!

Thread Information