Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 250X rider considering Yami, need advice

Hey everyone, I am looking for some advice about the Yami FZS or SHO as an addition to, or possibly a replacement for, my stock 250x. I would consider adding bolt-on mods but no engine mods. I am looking for a faster, sportier, ski than the 250x that would satisfy the following:

1: Performance (and stability) in 2ft+ waves at or near WOT (always ride in Chesapeake Bay and large, wide open, rivers)

2: Performance jumping 4ft+ waves from boats - I wanna go higher =)

I have other criteria that I am interested in but these are the things that I cannot figure out myself without riding one.

I am looking for advice from people who have at least ridden, but ideally own, a FZS/SHO (FZR input is good too).

Thanks everyone!

+1
    I wouldn't jump a fzr as an "everyday" thing. Not with the hull reports coming out.

Question

Thanks for the advice. I defiantly make a point of jumping as many waves as possible. What kinds of reports have you been hearing about the FZ* hulls? How does the SHO hull stand up in comparison? Would you consider the SHO as being a noticeably sportier ride than the 250x? Keep it coming guys, I can never have too much advice

+1
    The first thing I thought when riding a FZR was how similar it felt to a U250. A little more nimble, but felt alot of similar characteristics.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKawi View Post

1: Performance (and stability) in 2ft+ waves at or near WOT (always ride in Chesapeake Bay and large, wide open, rivers)

Your probably not going to find a better boat for your first criteria than the Ultra.

I haven't ridden an fzr/s, but I'm pretty sure it will be quicker and sportier.

The ultra 260 is supposedly quicker, sportier and even better in the chop.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the input.

I wouldn't jump a fzr as an "everyday" thing. Not with the hull reports coming out.
    From what you all have experienced (or heard), how does the SHO hull hold up when compared to the FZs (especially when put under a lot of stress like when jumping waves)?

The first thing I thought when riding a FZR was how similar it felt to a U250. A little more nimble, but felt alot of similar characteristics.
    I have heard that said once before. In fact that is one of the reasons that I started thinking about getting one of the FZ skis. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Your probably not going to find a better boat for your first criteria than the Ultra.
    That is actually one of the big reasons I became interested in the 250x to begin with

I have really been impressed at the huge strides that Yami has made in the last couple of years. I would love to keep hearing from Yami owners about all of this. Thanks again for all the advice!

+1
    The FX/FZ SHO and the Ultra are all great ski's. I would see if you could hook up with other riders in your area that may have one and trade ski's for a quick ride.

The FX/FZ SHO and the Ultra are all great ski's. I would see if you could hook up with other riders in your area that may have one and trade ski's for a quick ride.
    I will have to keep an eye out for rooster tails from now on

Nice to hear your input SHOdude, glad to see some Yami thread regulars showing up. How do you like your SHO? Have you had a chance to compare the SHO to the FZ series? Thoughts?

I think you are taking a risk jumping with any of the nanoxcel hulls. If you compared the FX to the FZ in the exact same conditions I dont see one cracking before the other. Both have had there issues. But if you are willing to take the chance, I think the FX plows water where the FZ kind of sits on top do to the lifting strakes, this is why the top speed is a little better, so jumping wakes and waves, I would go with the FZ. I cant really compare any of them to each other, but I have an FZR and it feels nimble enough to me, theres nothing you cant make it do and it pulls hard out of the hole. Hope I helped, have fun with whichever one you go with.

+1
    NaptownKawi: Sounds like you found a rooster in VA with WaverunninPWC. Go ride one.

If I was closer, I'd let you beat the snot out of mine... Seems like every time I get the cover on it, I take if off One More Time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information