Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pro-Tec PV Controller

Is teh Pro=Tec PV Controller necessary if you are running a Pro-Tec CDI? I mean I know you DONT HAVE to have them together, but is teh controller beneficial or just another old school mod that was later found to be not needed?

+1
    To be honest, if you plan on playing "big" in this game, you will eventually go gas valves anyway. Save your money.

+1
    I have to disagree (just a little). Lots of people are still using oem servo motors with no problems. So you can save even more money by keeping what you have because a set of gas valves and all hardware can run you in the 800 dollar range, with no speed benefits to it. They do look nice, however.

Not down grading the Gas Valves or the Post, calm down guys-----just saying that they are not required to go fast. Easy........take a deep breath, just don't want to see a bunch of money go towards something for no gains. Only trying to help. Only an opinion of my own, so it can go in the garbage.

well I appreciate the honesty, but will I see a benefit from the PV controller?

+1
    Didn't mean to say that PV's give you more power. They're utterly consistent, though. I went through 3 PV motors in addition to my stock one - at $150 apiece, gas valves were worth the money.

It's all up to you - that's the beauty of it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big83bronco
    well I appreciate the honesty, but will I see a benefit from the PV controller?
    Not sure, i havn't seen any of those. The PV controller in "my mind" --i would say that it helps control what rpms the valves open and maybe how much. But once the valves are all the way open---they're open, and that's it. The gas valves do the same thing except it's spring operated against the pressure coming from the exhaust ports - the servo motor opens it electronically when it detects a certain rpm.

Hope this helps. But i have no idea for certain on the PV controller, it may be something that works out great. Someone may chime in with some experience on that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie
    Didn't mean to say that PV's give you more power. They're utterly consistent, though. I went through 3 PV motors in addition to my stock one - at $150 apiece, gas valves were worth the money.

It's all up to you - that's the beauty of it.
    glad to see my post went over well and i am not getting beat with a stick. I even called and left a VM on your phone David, just to be sure nothing was taken the wrong way.

walkin on eggshells over here..

+1
    Good lord, John, nothing to worry about. You're a respected member of the forum and go out of your way to help people. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a difference of opinion.

I changed to gas valves because I had tremendous problems with my electric ones over the course of about a year. I got tired of it and switched. Best thing I ever did, because I installed them and have never had a lick of trouble since.

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1
    I have to strongly recommend against the Pro-Tec PV controller. I never felt like it gave me any performance boost, they constantly break from exposure to moisture, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they contributed to the failure of my first PV servo. Save your money and get an Advent or R&D CDI. They cost more, but give you a heck of a lot more bang for the buck, and with the mods you have on your boat you'll wonder how you ever got along without them.

I have had my controller for 4 years now with out a twitch. The benefits I have found as I love to jump waves and am always inthe rough, when the ski comes out of the water and lands backin or going from crest to crest the ski doesnt get that intial bog affect on landing, I have the same punch as before since the valves will stay open longer with the rpm curve that I have preprogramed in with the given chart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information