Thread: Piece of sh!t!!

Piece of sh!t!!

ok. so i went to switch my oil pump block off plate from my old engine to the new one. one of the oil pump bolts on the new motor snapped at the head. ok...whatever, i was thinking about swapping covers and stators anyway cause i know my old one is good and the new one is unknown. all bolts are breaking at their heads. just when i thought i was on my way...isnt that always how is it though?

so who knows of a good way to get the broken bolts out? i went to sears and really didnt see anything promising. should i just take it to the local machine shop and let them do it (these guys are actually good)?

+1
    Most likely they are just broken at the heads (they like to do that on saltwater skis). Pop the rest of them and pry the front cover off.

All of the studs will be exposed and can usually be removed with a pair of vice grips. Chase and clean the threads, re-install with anti-seize.

Get A Blowtorch n heat up the case round the bolts then removed with a pair of vicegrips.if u dont u will brack the rest of the bolt. then clean the threads, And re-install and if u want with anti
    -seize. The only prob with the blow torch is u with burn the paint but its the best way i do it on all the skis and on inboard and outboard motors i work on

i plan on painting the motor anyway.

dsolie. i did that but cannot get the cover off for the life of me. i drowned them in pb blaster last night and will try heating it up this evening and see if i can pry it off.

+1
    if it is a 800 or 951, the front of the motor is supported by that cover. you need to lift the front of the motor off that motor mount. put somthing under it to support it off the mount. that should take the weight of the motor off of the bolts holding the cover on and make it easier to remove.

the motor is out sitting on my work bench. i am in the middle of rebuilding the entire ski so the motor was out anyway.

what do you guys think about drilling them and heli coiling them? as far as structual support i think it should be ok. after all, the head stud kit for my car is just heli coils. what is a strong drill bit you guys recommend? something that wont get soft. isnt cobalt bits strong?

its shitty because they feel like the are backing out but they arent. they are just weak stainless steel screws.

I am an aircraft engineer and we use Heli-coils all the time. In aluminum the thread strength with heli-coils is accually stronger than without.

Mike

ditto on the Heli Coils, we use them in OEM manufacturing with aluminum parts.

i went ahead and just changed the entire housing. good to know though. thanks.

now i just need to change the stator and hope that fixes this ignition issue.

Thread Information