Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 Speedster Jet Boat engine problems Help!!!!

I need to explain my good day that turned into a bad day and see if you can help me. Ok well to update you on last problem when I went to full throttle before and couldnt go over about 10 mph and the engines sounded like they were gonna shut off. Took it to seeadoo seems on of the exhaust on one engine had came loose and the other engine wouldnt do nothing cause all the exhaust fumes in engine compartment wouldnt let the other one work..thats what they said.

Ok now the good day to the bad: went out dump throttle both engingin up to 6000 and 6500 rpms lay down and flying on the water like 53mph then no wake slowed up prob end up just floating along 10mph for about 30 to 45min went to later dump it either engine rpms would go over 3500 and about 15mph more throttle almost sound as engine we about to cut off so pulled down on throttle. Back to about 2000 rpms on both engines just floating then tried it again same thing i look back notice some muddy water grab a paddle stick in water go down a bit hit mud omg!!! so turn go more toward middle to get out that later look back just water behind me no mud so ok I thinking I was just in mud it was holding me up dump both throttles same thing 3500 max rpms engines screaming back off them pull the cover to look in where motors are where the starter s are when its running those are turing well there was some water back there so the starters turning was kicking up water all over the engines. well tried to keep giving both throttles so the same thing happens. This point i have settle to just go my 10mph only thing is we are about 6 miles from the landing well we make it about 3 miles then i see rmps on right engine going down that engine shut off completely. I tried number of times to crank it while on the left engine it never cranked up. So we have just the left engine running 5 to 8 mph dont want to put to much on that engine we still go 3 miles to go. We made it to the landing on the left engine got loaded up pulled the plug in rear drained all water out engine compartment. fired up the left engine cranked fine the right engine still want crank.

I have the right engine that dont crank at all.
    I have the left engine that cranks but want go over 3500 rpm my boat has to reach 6000 rpm both engines to lay down in the front and go any thing less its up in the front and never lays down.

Do you think it was the mud?
    Could this be fouled plugs? Plugs new only been out twice with them

Please if you can help I would appreciate it. Im starting to not like sea doo boats with the engines so close to water and some water been able to get in there I would think a outboard motor with perpellar would be better. Sea doo is 90 bucks hr shoot it was 110.00 for them to hook up the exhaust that came undone. So if you can tell me some things to try I would appreciate it....I wish there was a way to tell if the engines had all there power without putting it in the water tough after work to get it in the water and it still not have power.

Is there away to keep some of the water out the engine compartment I guess with Jet type its not?
    Last edited by marionr26; 06-28-2009 at 09:07 PM.

29 views no idea guys

any ideas at all.

easy to change plugs, one could be fouled. Also check intake grates and prop. You might have gotten something stuck in them since you were so close to the mud. I saw a picture once where someone had sucked up a fish before. Don't know if it was real but I have sucked up sea weed, fishing line and rope before. Also make sure the exhaust didn't come loose again.

the intake gates and prop thats if i lay under the boat those two slits that run straight back under the back has a metal gate if you look way back see plastic fan type thing is this what you are talking about Im new to this....So no way to flush pump out I lifted the hatch hook the hose up to each side where you run the water in and it shoots out the rear to flush the salt water out.

The 'fan' (prop) is metal and has a plastic ring (Wear Ring) around it. When things are sucked up the slits (intake grate) they are shot out the other side behind the boat. Small stones, weeds, rope, fishing line and sand can fit through the intake grate and get caught in the prop. Some times the prop can cut through them and spit it out. Ofter they will get caught between the prop blades and the wear ring. There is a very small gap between the wear ring and the prop that finer particles can fit through. The gap will get wider the more you use the boat. To much gap and the water will slip through and not go between the blades causing you to loose power. To little gap and the blades will cut into the wear ring. If the blades get bent at all (from stone, sticks etc.) they may also cut into the ring. Sooner or later you will need to replace the ring when the gap gets big enough. Some people install stainless steel rings in place of the plastic ones. They last longer but instead of damage to the wear ring, the stones(, rocks, rope) will damage the prop and the prop will have to be replaced.
    On the back of the boat there are three holes. On each side you have a drain plug with a screw in cap. These must be screwed in when you put the boat in the water and unscrewed when you take it out. If any water falls in the boat while it is in storage it should fall out here. The third hole is by the flush port. It is call the scupper valve. It is a hole with a ping pong ball like device. When the boat is in the water, the water pressure pushes on the 'ball' againist a rubber seal to keep water from entering the boat. If you get water over the top of the boat from a wake or whatever it will drain through a hold by the seat through a tub and then to this valve. If the rubber is bad or there are sticks, weeds etc inbetween the ball and the seal the valve will leak. That is another place water can come from.
    Water that is in the engine area should be pumped out by the bilge pump. Your pump is usually located in the very back of the engine compartment at the lowest point. There should be an electrical cable from the battery to the bilge pump. When water is in the engine area the bilge should kick on. If not check your fuses. the bilge fuse is in-line and not in the fuse block on most boats.

thanks

thanks that was alot of info I was really not aware of first the bildge pump it is unhooked due to it kept kicking on when my boat was just sitting out in the yard but might need to hook it back up. Now after the boat is sat up a week since the right engine cut off wouldnt crank I went out there today replaced all 4 plugs went to crank up the right engine it just said chugg didnt even want to turn over the other engine it turned over fast and fine.....If its not one thing its another.Last week it would turn over fast just not crank now it want turn over has a new starter on it too only been out like 3 times since the new starter was put on

Try an new battery. You could have a bad cell. Even if the battery tests for 12v it might not have enough amps.

Batt.

Even if the left engine turns over fine and fast then go to crank the right engine chugg like the shaft not even wanting to turn its a new batt got it when I went out last week in it...Now I havent had it on trickle charge since going out for about 4 or 5 hrs. and trying to crank that engine while out there like 8 to 10 times. Can one engine turn over good and another not turn over and still be batt. I was curious to see if the right engine would crank with new plugs.

Does the right engine relay "click" when you try to start it? Do you get any volts on the relay solenoid? (there are two sides to meter, one with 12v all the time the other should only get power when the start button is pressed.) Other things to think about: Bad gas, clogged fuel line, no spark, no air, no compression, bent pistions, hydrolocked) You had a leak in the exhuast, could water have gotten in?

Yes when I mash the start I hear the click before it starts well starts to turn over that is. I had a problem with the exhaust unhooked but when that happen it wasnt in the water 2 min. Then it was out and took it to seadoo. They said exhaust came unhooked thats why it didnt have rpms. Took it out like 30 min after it came from shop. It ran good. Next time out all this occurs. I have new spark plugs in now,before I tested one plug on the engine that dont crank. I took out plug put plug wire on plug layed it on top of motor cranked it no spark at all so went got 4 new ones put in now this right engine will not turn over just click then goes chugg and stops turning over....Left engine turns over fast and cranks. Im take plugs out of right engine see if I can turn over motor with hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information