Thread: SBT engine

SBT engine

Has anyone bought an engine from SBT? I am looking at replacing my engine due to a burnt piston and not knowing much of the history of the bike. I am looking at replacing the whole damn thing and wanted to replace other things that will allow the bike to run brand new. These are the things that I was planning on replacing, do let me know if there are any other things that I should replace.

(1) SBT short block
    (2) Carbs rebuild kit
    (3) Thermostat/ Thermosensor
    (4) Engine mounts
    (5) Gaskets
    (6) Fuel lines to be cleaned out
    (7) Fuel Pump - Do you think that I really need to change the pump if I have a block off kit

The problem I had with the old engine seems to have been over heating. What do you think had caused that?; plus there was no gap at all in the spark plug along with a burnt dismantled piston.

Another question: How should I break in the engine so that it becomes the fastest that it can be?

i bought a sbt engine and it started right up (i rebuilt the carbs while waiting)and it does about 62mph,i've had no problems and they guarentee them.i ran it easy for about 10 min then drove it like i stole it.no that was for a jet ski not a bike

I bought a GP1200 last yr with an SBT engine in it. Owner before me ran it about 3 hrs to break it in and then I bought it. I have about 10 hrs onit now and it runs great. I got it with the break in oil still in the tank and it did about 50 no with normal premix it goes about 65.

Napkins........ I Fly a Starship seajm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpetrie View Post
    i bought a sbt engine and it started right up (i rebuilt the carbs while waiting)and it does about 62mph,i've had no problems and they guarentee them.i ran it easy for about 10 min then drove it like i stole it.no that was for a jet ski not a bike
    This is the wrong way to break your motor in, go to SBT's web site and they have detailed info on break in procedures, personally I do 1/4 throttle for 5 gallons of fuel 32:1 and another 5 gallons of 32:1 @ 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to get to operating temps with 2 hour cool downs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seajm View Post
    This is the wrong way to break your motor in, go to SBT's web site and they have detailed info on break in procedures, personally I do 1/4 throttle for 5 gallons of fuel 32:1 and another 5 gallons of 32:1 @ 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to get to operating temps with 2 hour cool downs.
    I'm just about the same exact way myself

M

Thread Information