Rookie carb question

I am resetting the carbs on the slt750, 1995, factory manual says 1 turn on the mag, 1/2 on the center, and 3/4 on the PTO for main jets, and all 1/2 turn for lows, is that correct? From reading I see your suposed to tighten it all the way and then unscrew it that amount of turns, correct? with reeds, and vortex flame arrestors would another 1/2 turn or 1.4 turn otu on the mains be good?

Now here is the rookie question, why arent all the carbs tuned the same? Doesnt each cylinder require the same amount of fuel? I thought maybe it was due to fuel pressure from a single outlet pump, but I have a triple now, would the setting change?

thanks again guys!

+1

Cool

always start fat,great that you install better fuel pump system that was big problem on early ski, get some kind of digital tach will help greatly with tuning high speed settings as far as low speed 1/4 -1/2 should do just enough to have smooth idle with no bog
    it's very difficult to offer exact spec too many variable with weather/altitude /mods
    not much help,but better that sharp stick in the eye

later cd

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanace1 View Post
    I am resetting the carbs on the slt750, 1995, factory manual says 1 turn on the mag, 1/2 on the center, and 3/4 on the PTO for main jets, and all 1/2 turn for lows, is that correct? From reading I see your suposed to tighten it all the way and then unscrew it that amount of turns, correct? with reeds, and vortex flame arrestors would another 1/2 turn or 1.4 turn otu on the mains be good?

Now here is the rookie question, why arent all the carbs tuned the same? Doesnt each cylinder require the same amount of fuel? I thought maybe it was due to fuel pressure from a single outlet pump, but I have a triple now, would the setting change?

thanks again guys!

The specs I gave ya were for the 94 sl/slt 750, because I thought thats what ya had. The 94 is whats listed in your profile.

Those are the right factory settings for the 95 also. You are correct in how to adjust but you don't "tighten" you just turn in until the needle meets resistence, then you back out the number of turns needed. My engine was rough at idle but 1/8 turn in on the front low speed cleaned it up. In on the other two, rough again!! go figure?? Anyway, there is no clear cut setting to say put it there and you are good to go. Each cyl will be different due to the amount of space and shape of the inside of the crankcase.(amount of air will be different) With my 750 a 1/4 turn out helped but wasn't good enough. I still needed more.
    Go to the tech tips section and read the "tuning tips for girls". It will explain exactly how to adjust those carbs and not burn down a piston.
    I know this is long but maybe I've helped a little anyway.
    Last edited by 1stpolaris; 06-26-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added info

Is it really? I should probably figure out how to change that... I figure I will start out a little rich, safe than sorry.. Replacing pistons, thermostat, fuel valve today....wish me luck! Already did the triple pump and fuel line throughout... I think I coulda bought a working ski by now lol, but at least ill know this one will be good when im done.

Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    The specs I gave ya were for the 94 sl/slt 750, because I thought thats what ya had. The 94 is whats listed in your profile.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanace1 View Post
    Is it really? I should probably figure out how to change that...
    Click here to change your Profile.

Thanks, got her changed..

Just replaced the mag piston, thermo, fuel valve today, did the triple pump and new fuel lines throughout last week... Started right up! Blew a shit load of sand out into the water filter though with the flush kit, I think it was overheating AND running lean, you should see these pistons, ill post pics when I get back to my laptop and camera cable, MAg was melted to the point the ring was part of the piston, PTO was holed but the chunk that blew messed up the bearing, thank god the rod was fine. I think ill reset the carbs and see if I can run this season on the carbs before I rebuild them, I hope its a project I can do over winter! Ski season is upon us now!

Thread Information