95 waveraider 1100 - SBT engine

Has anyone bought an engine from SBT? I am looking at replacing my engine due to a burnt piston and not knowing much of the history of the bike. I am looking at replacing the whole damn thing and wanted to replace other things that will allow the bike to run brand new. These are the things that I was planning on replacing, do let me know if there are any other things that I should replace.

(1) SBT short block
    (2) Carbs rebuild kit
    (3) Thermostat/ Thermosensor
    (4) Engine mounts
    (5) Gaskets
    (6) Fuel lines to be cleaned out
    (7) Fuel Pump - Do you think that I really need to change the pump if I have a block off kit

The problem I had with the old engine seems to have been over heating. What do you think had caused that?; plus there was no gap at all in the spark plug along with a burnt dismantled piston.

Another question: How should I break in the engine so that it becomes the fastest that it can be?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by o0 RASTA 0o View Post
    Has anyone bought an engine from SBT? I am looking at replacing my engine due to a burnt piston and not knowing much of the history of the bike. I am looking at replacing the whole damn thing and wanted to replace other things that will allow the bike to run brand new. These are the things that I was planning on replacing, do let me know if there are any other things that I should replace.

(1) SBT short block
    (2) Carbs rebuild kit For sure!! You have 3 Mikuni 38's
    (3) Thermostat/ Thermosensor- No such thing other then the heat temp sensor
    (4) Engine mounts - Usually these are good. Only change if needed
    (5) Gaskets- Get OEM gaskets....spend the money vs the aftermarket IMO.
    (6) Fuel lines to be cleaned out- and filter
    (7) Fuel Pump - Do you think that I really need to change the pump if I have a block off kit The carbs must have the fuel pump..."no onboard" pump on these carbs. Rebuild the pump..or buy a new one.

The problem I had with the old engine seems to have been over heating. What do you think had caused that?; plus there was no gap at all in the spark plug along with a burnt dismantled piston.

Seized engine....bad crank bearings....air leak etc.

Another question: How should I break in the engine so that it becomes the fastest that it can be?
    Heat cylces....and vary the throttle....use SBT's way...it's a good practice. Read in the blue for your answers!

M

Eh M,

Thanks for the info man.....just a couple more questions....

(1) You said that I have 38's when it come to the carbs.....How can I make the carbs bigger? Do I have to buy bigger ones or rebuild kit would do the job?

(2) Why use OEM gaskets over the aftermaket IMO?

(3) Breaking in the engine...... Use heat cycles...What does heat cycles mean? Vary the throttle....I believe you mean gas and go repeatedly to put load on the engine.

(4) How long does it take for the engine to break in completely? How many hours until I can gun it like I odn't care?

(5) With what I listed in the first post of what I am doing to the engine....Do you think that I need anything else to ensure that I am on a brand new engine and fault free from old parts when it comes to the power plant? The starter is of no concern right now.

+1
    Eh M,

Thanks for the info man.....just a couple more questions....

(1) You said that I have 38's when it come to the carbs.....How can I make the carbs bigger? Do I have to buy bigger ones or rebuild kit would do the job?

You can always put a different manifold on and run 44's....pleny of used around. The other option is you can send your 38's to have them taper bored...also. I would run what you got for now ...and you can always upgrade.

(2) Why use OEM gaskets over the aftermaket IMO?

IMO better sealing...better quality....but that's just my opinion

(3) Breaking in the engine...... Use heat cycles...What does heat cycles mean? Vary the throttle....I believe you mean gas and go repeatedly to put load on the engine.

Yes and no...you want to get the engine up to operating temperature...with 30 min rides then followed by 2 hour cool down. This will help cure the pistons to the bore.

(4) How long does it take for the engine to break in completely? How many hours until I can gun it like I odn't care?

I personally would run 20 gallons of gas through it before full time hard riding. Again...SBT website has a detailed info on this and I follow closely to what Brian has posted there.

(5) With what I listed in the first post of what I am doing to the engine....Do you think that I need anything else to ensure that I am on a brand new engine and fault free from old parts when it comes to the power plant? The starter is of no concern right now.

NOt really..just make sure all parts are clean before installing and use new gaskets.

M

Continuation.......

Oh one more thing.....

(6) What fuel filter should I use?

I have brand new Engine Mounts...SO I am just gonna use them....I already spent the money.

+1
    Oh one more thing.....

(6) What fuel filter should I use?

I have brand new Engine Mounts...SO I am just gonna use them....I already spent the money.
    OEM works just fine....that's what I run

Thanks man....Info helps...Will let you know how things go, but will not know until mid August. I live in the Caribbean and therefore must send my engine up to the states to do the work.

You have a raider right?

How fast does it go?

What upgrades have you done on it?

How fast do you think my rebuilt engine would go compared to the factory engine?

+1
    Thanks man....Info helps...Will let you know how things go, but will not know until mid August. I live in the Caribbean and therefore must send my engine up to the states to do the work.

You have a raider right?

How fast does it go?

What upgrades have you done on it?

How fast do you think my rebuilt engine would go compared to the factory engine?

Yes I have a raider.

said to be 70mph ski once set up with the other parts I have.

It's been ported, expoixed cases, 85.5 flat top R&D pistons, 46 carbs, VF3 reeds, Riva intake, Pro-tec ride plate, Solas 14/19 trued to a 13/20 by Impros, RIva CDI, 155 Riva head and also 195 ADA head, GP1200 Electrics etc

I would think your ski should run 62ish

+1
    You can see it run under vacation pictures post that I did...

M

Thread Information