Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bearing gone what now

I just switched out the S/C had it in the water 15 mins. To check it out. I made a couple gps runs. Was turning to go back to the dock and the motor locked up. Got back home, pulled the S/C and the bearings on the engine side the ones next to the clutch and gear were gone except for 2 of the balls. My question is what to do next? They were the stock metal bearings. HELLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!! I know ya'll like pix so heres a few.
    Thanks MONGO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	704.0 KB 
ID:	138946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1,006.7 KB 
ID:	138947  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    I just switched out the S/C had it in the water 15 mins. To check it out. I made a couple gps runs. Was turning to go back to the dock and the motor locked up. Got back home, pulled the S/C and the bearings on the engine side the ones next to the clutch and gear were gone except for 2 of the balls. My question is what to do next? They were the stock metal bearings. HELLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!! I know ya'll like pix so heres a few.
    Thanks MONGO

You should never run new brgs wot for 20 minutes of run time....check if brgs are installed properly.

+1
    If theres only 2 balls in the charger still that means theres 5 in your engine. Need to get them out

The bearings were not new it was a charger that came with a ski I just got i swapped the rude2 out of the ski I already had for the rude1 that is now destroyed in the ski I just got. I checked it out for slip and play and it all looked fine. don't know why it let go I just want to know what I need to do to clean up the mess.

Help him please I wanna go ride the Doo this weekend.

+1
    I would start by pulling the front cover (#8 in the parts finder) and see if you can find the missing 5 balls.
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=129&B=9

I would try the easy way first.

Taking the PTO cover off means seals, gaskets, driveshaft circlip removal etc, pump removal, exhaust removal.... pita.!!

Try fishing about with a magnet in there. It may attach to other things, but stands a chance of catching the balls too.

Either a door catch magnet insides with good string tied thro it, and /or one of the little mag tools you get in the hardware shop.

Patience will pay off here too, they have to be low down in the block, and probably one is jammed between the gears of the counterbalancer and driven gear.

Not sure how to go about the plastic bearing support though. See if you can get a endoscope in there. We can buy them here for automotive purposes.

Happy hunting.

BTW.... What year/model is it?

It's an 05 RXT. I pulled the cover off by the oil cap end and found a ball and a beat up strip of metal i think used to be a ball. Of course there were shaving caught in the screen but the screen was still in tact so I dont believe anything made it to the oil pump. I now have 4 of the balls for sure and possibly a 5th (the strip of metal) and there it something rattling around in the charger between the 2 bearing hopfully it is not the balls from the other side and it's the ones that are missing. How many should there be??

Thanks Mongo

Update. I got the shaft out and before I puled it all the way out I looked in there and I'm pretty shure i saw the 3 balls that were missing. I pulled the shaft out over a box to catch them of the shaft stuck, I yanked and the balls went flying. I could only find 2 but I'm pretty sure the 3rd went flying. I figured out what the metal strip was. Part of the bearing retainer cage. I was wondering if a bearing was down in the pan would it do anything or just get sucked back to the screen. What i think I'm planning on doing is put my greencharger in and put it all back together put oil in and run it for a while, drain the oil, pull the cover, check and clean the screen, put oil back in and call it done. What ya'll think?????
    Thanks Mongo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information