Picked up a 95 ZXI 750

Like the title says, I picked up a ZXI750 today.

Here is a picture of it

It's my first ski so I didn't want to get anything extremely expensive. It has some dock rash and the foot pads are coming off.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for with this ski?

It is still using the oil injection, and will have to continue to until after I use it fourth of july, but it seems to work fine.

What type of oil should I use? I have some smokeless lucas semi-synthetic 2 cycle, would that be ok?

Is there any thing I should do or buy for it before I use it?

Also, what can I use to glue the rubber foot pads back down?

Thanks,

AaronR

+1
    Looks nice, Aaron! I was trying to find some 750 ZXi's for my neices & nephews to play on, but couldn't find any that were in good shape for a reasonable price. Ended up with an STS and an SSXi instead. The ZXi hull is much better.

The main thing to watch on the oil system is the lines cracking and/or coming off. There is really nothing wrong with the injection system if you replace the lines with urethane hose and secure them properly (although some here will argue about it).

When chosing an oil, look for TC-W3 on the label.

You can re-glue the mats with contact cement. Look for the kind that's highly flammable, not the latex crap. 3M 5200 will hold it, but it takes a week to cure and you'll have to use a chisel to remove it! You might put on HydroTurf that is already adhesive backed.

As far as stuff to buy for it, I presume you have the standard stuff--life jackets, fire extinguisher, tow rope, etc. You might get one of those collapsible paddles. I never beach my boats. I put an anchor (actually, one of those screw-in dog anchors) near the shore with a line and a float, then tie the 'Ski to that. Keeps the boat from getting scraped up.

Does the trim work? The O-ring seal on the trim box is a major source of problems. If the trim does work, you'd be smart to open it up, make sure it's dry, then seal it real well. Put some silicone sealer around the outside of the box where the halves go together, as well as some waterproof grease on the O-ring. I believe water can eventually work it's way up to the box via the trim cable, too.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Looks nice, Aaron! I was trying to find some 750 ZXi's for my neices & nephews to play on, but couldn't find any that were in good shape for a reasonable price. Ended up with an STS and an SSXi instead. The ZXi hull is much better.

The main thing to watch on the oil system is the lines cracking and/or coming off. There is really nothing wrong with the injection system if you replace the lines with urethane hose and secure them properly (although some here will argue about it).

When chosing an oil, look for TC-W3 on the label.

You can re-glue the mats with contact cement. Look for the kind that's highly flammable, not the latex crap. 3M 5200 will hold it, but it takes a week to cure and you'll have to use a chisel to remove it! You might put on HydroTurf that is already adhesive backed.

As far as stuff to buy for it, I presume you have the standard stuff--life jackets, fire extinguisher, tow rope, etc. You might get one of those collapsible paddles. I never beach my boats. I put an anchor (actually, one of those screw-in dog anchors) near the shore with a line and a float, then tie the 'Ski to that. Keeps the boat from getting scraped up.

Does the trim work? The O-ring seal on the trim box is a major source of problems. If the trim does work, you'd be smart to open it up, make sure it's dry, then seal it real well. Put some silicone sealer around the outside of the box where the halves go together, as well as some waterproof grease on the O-ring. I believe water can eventually work it's way up to the box via the trim cable, too.

I glued the mats with the 3M cement, hopefully they hold well, they are curing in the heat now.

I bought the best life jacket I could find at bass pro locally. It is an XPS neoprene that says it was tested at 50 MPH.

Everything on it seems to work. The trim, the fuel gauge, the trim gauge, I haven't had it out yet to test the speedometer though. It looks to have been taken care of.

How hard is it to pull the trim box apart? I'll look into that today. I may just take tools and some sealer with me and fix it when I'm there.

How many gallons are the fuel tanks in these and how many hours can you ride on average with that amount of fuel?

+1
    There are 3 Allen head screws that hold the cover on the trim box. Not hard to remove it, but putting the O-ring back on is a real chore. Stretch it out good and work quickly and you can get it back together. I had one that had a pinched O-ring from the factory.

After you get the cover back on, put sealant all around the outside of the box, over the joint where the two halves meet.

Everything seems to work fine other than the speedometer.

I also notice there is a vent in the hull with a tube running through some sort of electric valve and into the motor. While running it pumps water out of that, I don't know if the water was constant, I didn't notice it at first. What is this and what does it do?

Hopefully thats normal. It seems to work and run great, I'm hoping to take it for a 10-15 mile trip tomorrow.

Here are some pictures of the first day out with it.

Thread Information