Loose part in GP800R hull

Please help. I found a loose part in the hull yesterday. Here's the background...

I have two 2005 GP800R skis with 100 hours on each. In addition to the four engine mounts, there is a rubber pad (called a "damper" or "stopper" depending on the manual) directly under the engine which bolts to the hull with two bolts. The crankcase rests on the damper.

The bolts holding the damper for #1 ski vibrated free. I found the damper loose in the hull after a run yesterday. The damper in #2 ski is loose and will certainly vibrate free in time.

Questions:
    1. Is this a common issue?
    2. What should be done to prevent a recurrence?
    3. Must it be replaced immediately?
    4. Is there any way to do this without completely pulling the engine? It's just two simple bolts, but access is zilch. I don't see a way out. I have no means to pull the engine myself.

I've searched the forums and not found any mention of this, so it seems odd that I have two waverunners, both with the same problem.

So.. I'm guessing the loose engine mount "pad" I encountered on both my waverunners was a fluke, since 33 people have looked at this and nobody has chimed in with a "that happened to me too" reply.

I suspect the bolts weren't properly torqued at the factory or the locktite wasn't applied. This is after 80 hours (previous post said 100.. that was a guess.) Can't say I'm pleased with Yamaha on this one. I do not have means to to lift the engine and reinstall properly. Kaching! Off to the shop this afternoon.

Questions were:
    1. Is this a common issue?
    2. What should be done to prevent a recurrence?
    3. Must it be replaced immediately?
    4. Is there any way to do this without completely pulling the engine? It's just two simple bolts, but access is zilch. I don't see a way out. I have no means to pull the engine myself.

Is it almost winter yet??? ProXR 440's Avatar
    +1
    I haven't looked at my gpr mounts yet but I know when I pulled the motor out of my old GP800 there were big metal motor mount shims in there as well to align the motor. You might find some of those laying in the hull as well if the motor mount bolt came completely out. I haven't heard of the mounts coming loose on a "virgin" ski...

I've never seen that happen, but that dampner is there to make sure the engine does not contact the hull bottom in the event of a motor mount failure. Usually they run case bolts through them - but I don't think the 66E motor does that. I wouldn't worry about it...IMO

Thread Information