Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Riva BOV

+1

Riva BOV

I just installed the Riva BOV and all went well. It was the first time inside of my RXP. Although, I do have quite a bit of mechanical know how. I've got a 08 Mustang running 11s with 506 rwhp. I will say that the Seadoos seem like they are pretty easy to work on. I was curious and this definately answered my question. I figured it was going to be hell but it wasn't bad by any means. Seems like the skis are put together with how it comes apart in mind. Here's my question though ... How loud are these BOVs? Are they quiet? I can't really hear mine. Although, this was only out of the water so I'm wondering if since there really isnt' a load on the ski ... Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    ive been wondering this also... i know BOVs on turbod cars sound a bit different than SC'd

i was wondering if its an audible "pppppissssshhhhhaaa"

+1
    I run the Riva Pro Series BOV, I have only heard it open during hard riding once the ski comes unhooked (sounds like someone opening a shook can of soda under the seat, trust me you will hear it and know what it is), never on the trailer although I have never really thought of trying to see.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    I run the Riva Pro Series BOV, I have only heard it open during hard riding once the ski comes unhooked (sounds like someone opening a shook can of soda under the seat, trust me you will hear it and know what it is), never on the trailer although I have never really thought of trying to see.
    Perfect. Thanks for the answer. I'll be taking it out tomorrow and I'll listen for it.

+1
    While idling around near the boat ramp I take off the rear seat and punch it and mine sounds like a loud sneeze.Other than that I cant hear it while riding.Supposedly you can run a hose off the valve and make an exit so you can hear it.

+1
    I just wanted to comment further on this for future reference. I took it out today to try it out. I can't hear it out of the water with or without the seat on. I can barely hear it with the seat on with no wind on the water. I can definitely hear it with the seat off regardless of wind conditions. It's pretty loud once the seats off. I think it'll be a good mod since they don't come with a BOV from the factory.

My turbo Saab has a BOV because the turbo spools down independantly of the engine rpms. The SC on the ski, spools down because it's connected directly to the engine via the flywheel - the clutches just slow it down a little slower so the SC shaft doesn't snap. A BOV on an SC is not required, unless you want something else to leak boost... Ron

+1
    A BOV on a supercharger isn't necessary like it is on a turbo but it will help the supercharger on our skis reduce clutch wear.

+1
    I took mine off (RIVA PRO BOV) because it leaked badly, RPMS were all over the place at top. After a hard run the O-ring would move over the BOV piston. This is the second BOV with this problem total POS.

If you're going to do a BOV the general consensus seems to be that the HKS SSQV is the most durable and least likely to cause problems. I have one on my ski, and the only real time I hear it open is when I come unhooked at WOT. Even then you really have to listen for it to hear it. Like dnielsen said it's just about the sound of someone opening a can of soda.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information