Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

flywheel bolts backing out

hey guys. i have now had the wonderful experience not once, but twice of having my flywheel bolts backout on me. on both occasions i torqed to spec which is 11 ftlbs then 50 degrees. on the second trip i was gunshy and even though the instructions said not to, i used some locktite. it appeared that the flywheel fit on the crank flush. i also tapped it on with a hammer to assure that it was indeed fitting flush. the threads on the crank did not seem to be stripped because i was able to torque the bolts down. an ideas on what to do next?
    the setup is an 06 rxp with riva s3.

+1
    Did the '06 have the upgraded stretch bolts or not? I am not sure what year they changed.............

+1
    I am at work, but that torque seems too low. When I get home will check and see if I can find the torque for the flywheel bolts.

the bolts are the new stretch bolts for which the torque specs are different from the book. the instructions for the new bolts are 11ft lb + 50 degree turn. not sure why they did'nt have a standard ftlb measurement. same with the head bolts (ft lbs + degree turns). i am wondering if there is an inherent flaw with the surface of the flywheel or crankshaft which would require resurfacing. will have to check to determine this. flywheel would be a hell of a lot easier to deal with and or replace.

ob btw when the flywheel bolts backed out the first time it demolished the stator plate, and the beat up some on the trigger wheel. everything else was fine.

+1
    The rockershaft bolts have more torque than the flywheel bolts?

+1
    yep 11ft lbs then 50 degree's on a degree wheel.

i would imagine that the 50 degrees after 11 ftlbs makes the torque a whole lot more. i can check but after i realized what was wrong last night after taking out the charger and noticing the flywheel could be rocked (loose) i called it a night. it was really depressing to confirm my suspicion. the ski was in the water for 2 hrs after replacing the bolts from the last backout. i was definately not happy about that. so of course my goal is to get that remidied for good.

now just to make sure this is ok. i don't have the luxury of an degree torque wrench so i used a protracor, marked the spots and torqued to the marks. a little old fashioned, but i don't even have any buddies that have the degree wheel torque wrenches.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by comish71 View Post
    now just to make sure this is ok. i don't have the luxury of an degree torque wrench so i used a protracor, marked the spots and torqued to the marks. a little old fashioned, but i don't even have any buddies that have the degree wheel torque wrenches.

All i did was print a degree wheel off the computer and put my socket extension through it.

If you need a set of new bolts I have some. PM me if you need them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information