Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What is the value of an 1800 cc engine?

I have an SHO and just started riding about four months ago so I am learning on the go. Can some one please explain what the advantage is of having an 1800 cc engine that the SHO has compared to a 1400 cc engine that the top tier Sea Doos and Kawis have. All of these skis travel at or around the same stock top speed and acceleration and I am curious as to why this is since the SHO engine seems to be much larger?

Thanks in advance.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tsho View Post
    I have an SHO and just started riding about four months ago so I am learning on the go. Can some one please explain what the advantage is of having an 1800 cc engine that the SHO has compared to a 1500 cc engine that the top tier Sea Doos and Kawis have. All of these skis travel at or around the same stock top speed and acceleration and I am curious as to why this is since the SHO engine seems to be much larger?

Thanks in advance.
    Well... you see ......... nevermind ...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    Well... you see ......... nevermind ...

I was asking a simple question. You seem to have the mentality and expressions of a spurned adolescent girl. Am I close?

+1
    I was asking a simple question. You seem to have the mentality and expressions of a spurned adolescent girl. Am I close?
    haha

+1
    lol dude he was just kidding.

I think he was trying to say that the larger displacement allows for bigger gains when it comes to modding.

Pretty close, more like pre-teen ..... oops wrong thread.

A larger engine shouldn't have to work as hard as a smaller engine to get the same amount of power, everything else being equal. But there are many more factors that come in to play than just displacement here though.

+1
    I have an SHO and just started riding about four months ago so I am learning on the go. Can some one please explain what the advantage is of having an 1800 cc engine that the SHO has compared to a 1400 cc engine that the top tier Sea Doos and Kawis have. All of these skis travel at or around the same stock top speed and acceleration and I am curious as to why this is since the SHO engine seems to be much larger?

Thanks in advance.

Lots of factors and variables besides engine size, for example the Sea-Doos have more horsepower than that 1800 cc engine, and a good deal of the raw performance on a PWC actually comes from other areas—including the pump design and impeller tweaks. Also keep in mind that years ago the Coast Guard has called for an agreement on SPEED relative to SAFETY, so that's one reason a lot of these machines are so close. The manufacturers want to be competitive but not open themselves up to unnecessary liability issues. As I understand it, there were studies done some years ago which concluded that if a typical rider comes off the ski at speeds below 65 mph, they are usually going to have a better chance of staying conscious, avoiding serious injury and being able to get back on the machine by themselves.

As to the engines and your question; there really is no significant advantage in stock form. As seen here, the Sea-Doos outperform the Yamaha at every level, and they do it using less fuel...

Good grief

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Good grief

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Good grief

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information