Thread: Sl 780

Sl 780

Well summer here in PHX and its HOT... Last summer let the wife ride while parking the trailer, she got about 100 yards out, and it died... swam it in brought it home and havent started it yet... I went out to try it out, full tank, battery charged, no start... so I pulled the plugs... it gets spark. I noticed the fuel water seperator was full... so twisted it off and emptied it no big deal... still no start... so tried to start while spraying a little starter fluid, didnt want to spray to much but it did fire up a little... so I have come to the conclusion that it has to be a clogged fuel line, or the fuel sending unit... I'm not extremely fluent in fuel systems, so Im wondering could someone point me in the right direction... what should I check first? How do I pull the Pump? How do I pull the gas tank (the styrophome is in the way)... Please help, Its hot and I need to cool off soon!

Thank you all!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    If the water seperator was full, I'd pull the carbs apart and make sure the internals are good.

You can then blow the fuel lines out with an air compressor, or replace the fuel lines all together.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    If the water seperator was full, I'd pull the carbs apart and make sure the internals are good.

You can then blow the fuel lines out with an air compressor, or replace the fuel lines all together.
    well... I feel I can hold my own under the hood... but... I know my limitations, the carb removal, and replacement my be too much to try right now... I mean, what should I inspect for as far as the internals go? corosion? rust? I removed the gas tank finally, I could blow through two of the three hoses comming out of the tank... (no blow though the one that feeds into the oil tank)... when pulling out the (I guess fuel sending unit...(the crazy space age module that looks like its out of "The Rock" from the Gas can)) I am worried if I am getting in over my head???

Is there test I can do to find out if the sending unit is wrong?

or do I need to pull the carb?

Ya'll I really want to get riding soon... I thank you all for your advice and help!

+1
    I doubt the sender has anything to do with it if you can blow through the hoses.

Carb removal is quite simple, you can do it. Skinny arms will help out alot, but a 12mm wrench is mandatory. Remove the 6 nuts from the bottom side of the carbs, undo the throttle cable, disconnect the oil pump linkage if using the oil pump, and disconnect the fuel hoses. That's it.

Yeah, you're looking for rust, corrosion, or a slimy gas/water film clogging up the internals. Also check the filters on the back side of the carbs too.

Alright, well thank you for the help... I did pull the carbs off... they look brand new, no signs of wear or corrosion... so I took the pump off, one of the Diaphrams where slightly tarnished and warped, so I ordered a rebuild kit, that should be there this week Hopefully... So while I am ordering parts... Is there anything else I should look over while I have it disasembled?

Thank you for the advise!

+1
    Takr a peek at your rees while you're that far down.

You have the good fuel pump already, so need for that.

Take a good look at your fuel hoses and petcock. Make sure they are clean and clear.

Maybe check the filters also.

Thread Information