Stating Problem, Please help, its got me stumped

First thing first, Ski is a 98 gti with a 720 motor. The ski had set for 2 years and my brother in law bought it. Got it home put a new battery in it and got it started. Put it on the hose and found a water leak in the manifold and 2 broken motor mounts, got the parts and put it back together. Now it will not do a thing. put the lanyard on and hit the button and nothing. I put a new selinoid in and still nothing. Cleaned all the grounds, ohmed out the starter button. Everything is checking good. So what am I missing. I have not done a thing to the electrical system for this to happen.

Thanks, Jeff

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Check your fuses. Do you get a double beep, or nothing, when the lanyard is plugged in?

Yep I get 2 beeps and all the fusses are good in the front and the one in the rear

Well, I looked thru 40 pages before I found this.. I have a 97 GTI with the same problem. Put keu on post, two beeps, gauges and oikl light react, but no starter. Have bypassed starter button, replaced solenoid, ohmed every circuit I think might be relevant, checked for voltage at solenoid, and at proper terminals on mpem, replaced mpem with a known, running mpem, checked stator wiring, 57 ohms resistance between yellow and yellow-red, no cont. between black. Been working on these things for quite a while, but this one has me stumped. Anyone got any ideas? Guy I bought it from said it was the same scenario, running good, replaced exhaust gasket, and in the process, unplugged stator wires, now no spark, and no starter,( unless you short at the solenoid. Can anyone tell me what the starter path is thru the wiring harness on this mode, so maybe I can start tracing wires? Thanks in advance, everyone.

+1
    Check the harness plug on the magneto side. I had a pin go bad and had no charging from the rectifier and no tach. I replaced the pins and i had a charging magneto and working tach on a 717 engine. I believe the mpem gets a ground off the 4 pin harness so check that. I did have a battery ground go bad too, which connects to the starter. They corrode from the outside in. I used a lawn and tractor 6 gauge ground and it still works 4 years later.

+1
    Have you checked the compression? You needs 3 things for the ski to fire; fuel, compression and spark.

7. +1 by:

Thread Information