Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar

Need help, loss of power...

Ok for those who remember from Mudbug I am currently chasing a problem on my GTXL. I have a lack of acceleration and top speed. When cruising I get between 5000-5500 rpms at wot. I could barely get on plane from a stop. What I know is that it is not likely to be in Limp mode (ski will pull 8600+ on trailer) and its not throwing a code(other than low 12v when battery drains). The magneto/stator is not charging the battery and I have replaced the regulator. Also the #2 cylinder has a weird lack of color after running at Mudbug, this stayed even after swapping possible problem injectors.

I know its not the SC because it will not move under finger pressure and the RPM loss is way beyond loss of boost.

I know the kanoflex intake is not restricting.

I know the injectors are firing and have a cone pattern spray.

I know the likely coil is not suspect of failure as running is even worse on trailer when disconnecting it. Nor are any of the coils cracked or apparently corroded.

I know the valve train is actuating properly with no apparent bent, broken or stuck valves.

I know the the compression varies from 120-125 psi between the three cylinders(did not do a timed leak test but held each cylider at pressuer for 30-35 seconds to watch for drop off which none was seen)

I know the throttle body is operating smoothly at full range with no blockages

I know the intake manifold and intake ports free from blockage as well

I know the pump is in great shape, the impeller is clean and rotates freely by hand and the wear ring has minor grooves but nothing major

So I ask where next? Should I buy new coils? New injectors? What sensors could cause this without throwing a code? Honestly I thought I would find something jammed in the runner on the #2 cylinder so I am at a total loss now.

Also can you pull the PTO cover with out removing the engine from the ski? I think I still have stator that needs replacing(could this cause a weak spark?)

Thanks for any help in advance.

Oh relevant mods should be in my sig, but I'll list here too, Greenwheel, Riva ECU, External IC, 4" Kanoflex intake, Riva valvetrain, Catchcan.

Really need some ideas here.

Hose from sc to tb leaking or loose?

If there is not enough power in the electrical circuit it will not run much above this RPM for sure.

They are very susceptable to voltage.

Check voltage out/at battery post when it is running.

Could be a regulator issue... in which case ya gotta get one, or make one.

Fuel pump could be un-well is another reason for this behaviour.... again, electrics will alter this. If power down, you need about 8 amps to drive it at battery voltage.

You can pull the PTO cover off without engine removal, just watch for the hidden bolts underneath etc. .... oh, and the oil pouring out... about 250-300mls..!!

Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    Hose from sc to tb leaking or loose?
    No this is more than just a loss of boost, I've popped the Sc/tb hose before and I could still get 6800 out of the motor and it would plane easily with two(just with out the wonderful superchared gusto)

Quote Originally Posted by Richieb View Post
    If there is not enough power in the electrical circuit it will not run much above this RPM for sure.

They are very susceptable to voltage.

Check voltage out/at battery post when it is running.

Could be a regulator issue... in which case ya gotta get one, or make one.

You can pull the PTO cover off without engine removal, just watch for the hidden bolts underneath etc. .... oh, and the oil pouring out... about 250-300mls..!!
    Electrical it could very well be. I have replaced the voltage regulator, what are the chances of one being bad from the factory?(I'd rathe spend $150 than $300 on a stator)

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    No this is more than just a loss of boost, I've popped the Sc/tb hose before and I could still get 6800 out of the motor and it would plane easily with two(just with out the wonderful superchared gusto)
    Hmm...sorry about that. I had a loose hose once....she wouldn't get above 5500.....and lessened all the time.....scared the sht outa me.

Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    Hmm...sorry about that. I had a loose hose once....she wouldn't get above 5500.....and lessened all the time.....scared the sht outa me.
    I will say I have been having hose issues and it is a good suggestion

Updated my post...

Quote Originally Posted by Richieb View Post
    Updated my post...
    Fuel pump is brand new as well.

Is there a good way to tell if the stator/magneto is making power to the regulator?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information