Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

idle issue with 2002 virage i

I had an issue with starting my jetski and found that the problem was due to battery with K447 help. It took me about 9 months to figure that out coz I bought a new battery, plugs and TPS. So, I thought it was a different problem until last week when starter solenoid start acting up due to week battery AMP. In any case my jetski is starting except I try to test the jetski with garden hose and found that it will not idle correctly and engine dies. Engine idles for a few seconds and dies.

I have new TPS and also made sure that throttle cable is adjusted as manual described. I am also using NGK spark plugs. They are not new but almost new coz I had them changed when I had problem starting the jetski due to the battery which I found out last week. I have been trying to fix/check not starting issue with these plugs for about 9 months on and off.

1. Should I change new plugs? They are too expensive.
    2. How can I adjust the idel or do I need to adjust the idle?
    3. What is the idle speed when jetski is not in the water and in the water?
    4. How do I know my new TPS is working correctly? I tried to start the engine without TPS and engine will not start. Engine will start only when TPS is connected. Does it mean TPS is working?

Please help!
    Thanks

Try adjusting the idle screw. Idle speed should be at 1350 ± 100 RPM (in the water).

+1
    You Can't manually adjust Idle speed on Ficht injection .
    RTFL
    Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    You Can't manually adjust Idle speed on Ficht injection .
    RTFL
    Bernie
    Oh, I didn't fully read the title. I missed that last "i"

So, if I can't adjust the idle then how can I fix this issue? I did change the TPS.

Thanks

+1
    Compression .fuel pressure and injector voltage while idling .Remove pump driveshaft and see if impellor turns freely .
    Cheers

Bernie

Ok, I believe I can check fuel pressure and injector voltage while idling for 2-3 seconds.

1. How do I check the Compression while idling?
    2. How do I remove pump driveshaft to check if impellor turns freely?

Thank you!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jitan2004 View Post
    Ok, I believe I can check fuel pressure and injector voltage while idling for 2-3 seconds.

1. How do I check the Compression while idling?
    2. How do I remove pump drive shaft to check if impeller turns freely?

Thank you!
    Welcome

Click below for the service manual.

Also have a look here.

Compression is checked with all spark plugs out

Fuel pressure and injector voltage are checked with engine cranking and then running, and all injectors plugged in.

Remove the jet pump to get the drive shaft out. Undo the four LONG bolts (not nuts), disconnect the cable ends and any small hoses, and wiggle the pump straight back.

It can be stuck in place, but it will come off with some grunt. Sometimes a long 2x4 to pry the pump body left-right a little will help it come loose. Jet pump removal should take a few minutes.

The drive shaft then just slides straight-out.
    Be sure to add grease to the through-hull bearing Zerk fitting after you put the jet pump back on. Good quality waterproof marine bearing grease.

And don't lose the little rubber bumpers that are on both ends of the drive shaft. Also squirt some extra grease into the drive shaft coupler and impeller before inserting the drive shaft.

Does it idle OK out of the water, on the trailer?
    1150 RPM is the normal idle RPM, in or out of the water.

Spark plugs are the correct NGK PZFR6H, and are not fouled?

Thanks for the respond. I put my answer below your message.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Click below for the service manual.

Also have a look here.
    Thanks for the link. Very helpfull. There is a link for idle issue. I did check the fire arrestor and cleaned it after I found out it is the same as air filter.

Compression is checked with all spark plugs out
    I need to check the compression again. I did it wrong. I checked it with one plugs installed at a time.

Fuel pressure and injector voltage are checked with engine cranking and then running, and all injectors plugged in.
    I did this correctly. Fuel pressure is about 20psi and injector voltage is about 20-25 whild cranking and 40-45 while running.

Remove the jet pump to get the drive shaft out. Undo the four LONG bolts (not nuts), disconnect the cable ends and any small hoses, and wiggle the pump straight back.
    I am not sure what jet pump is and also do not know where it is located. Do you have a diagram or a pic? I tried to look for the jet pump at polaris part web site but can't find it.

It can be stuck in place, but it will come off with some grunt. Sometimes a long 2x4 to pry the pump body left-right a little will help it come loose. Jet pump removal should take a few minutes.

The drive shaft then just slides straight-out.
    Be sure to add grease to the through-hull bearing Zerk fitting after you put the jet pump back on. Good quality waterproof marine bearing grease.

And don't lose the little rubber bumpers that are on both ends of the drive shaft. Also squirt some extra grease into the drive shaft coupler and impeller before inserting the drive shaft.

Does it idle OK out of the water, on the trailer?
    1150 RPM is the normal idle RPM, in or out of the water.
    No it doesn't idle ok out of water.

Spark plugs are the correct NGK PZFR6H, and are not fouled?
    They are kind of dark except for the tip. I did replace them with new NGK plugs but didn't help. So, I did put back the previous plugs so I can keep the new one I just bought for a spare.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ...Remove the jet pump to get the drive shaft out. Undo the four LONG bolts (not nuts), disconnect the cable ends and any small hoses, and wiggle the pump straight back...
    I am not sure what jet pump is and also do not know where it is located.
    Do you have a diagram or a pic?
    I tried to look for the jet pump at polaris part web site but can't find it...
    The jet pump is the big black thing sticking out the back of your PWC.
    Where the water comes out really fast, and makes the machine go forward ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information