RXP Overheat issue

Overheat issue, 05 RXP stock except 160 degree stat, ss wear ring and 3 blade prop. Put the 160 degree merc. stat in the beginning of the season along with the wear ring and prop, now Iím getting a high temp along with the horn. The odd issue is this only happens when I take off from idle and hammer it, if Iím cruising 30-60 mph and hammer there is no issue. Iíve bled it many times, drove around with the cap off, squeezed the hose, Iím fairly confidant itís bled properly. Just looking for to see if anyone else has had this issue before I put the original stat back in, (had to glue it back together) not looking forward to it if there is something I may be missing. Thanks in advance Cr 250

+1
    I screwed up after upgrading my flywheel bolts, when i assembled everything, I unknowingly had my coolant lines to the oil cooler reversed. Chased this for a long before some ideas came from this forum and I studied the instruction pics for the thermostat upgrade. It looked correct in the ski to me, but were reversed. Your issue may not be related to cooling though. It's possible that it's just a coincidant that this cropped up after your thermostat upgrade. This could be your exhaust temp sensor is going bad, or the pissers in the j-pipe are partialy blocked, or if you've done anything with the coupler on the j-pipe to water box connection that the clamp is mis-positioned and blocking the pissers. I once had that hi temp going off because my battery voltage was low. Well, there's a few things for you to look at. Let us know what you come up with.

OBJ

Thanks OBJ,
    I was looking at the cooling line deal, my resivor goes to the front of the thermostat housing, oil cooler is connected just aft of that one, best I can tell this is correct? I did have my water box off, don't really know what you mean by the pissers? Will look in that direction also, Thanks again, Cr250

+1
    Just in case your not aware, the j-pipe is the crome pipe that's arched that your water box attaches to. They are connected together with a hose that's about 3" long and about 3" in diameter and probably has three hose clamps on it. On the j-pipe itself, around it's perimiter, there are three small holes that flow the water into the water box and cool the exhaust gases. They are under that conneting hose, and it is critical that the hose clamps are above, and below the pissers so as not to restrict there flow. If they are clogged with crud or the clamps are impeading there flow, the water box will get to hot and the sensor that's there will give you your overheat alarm. If you already know all this, sorry to have gone on and on. Good luck.

OBJ

Yes, check the J pipe!!! ... Ron

Great info! I will check that in the AM, Sure glad I posted here before putting the old 190 degree stat back in!

Cr250

I think you nailed it! The clamp issue and the pissers, I took it apart so it all made sense, middle clamp looks to have been installed down to far. Hopefully will give it a try soon! Thanks again OBJ, and this forum!

Cr 250

+1
    Welcome. Best of luck

OBJ

Thread Information