Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

just a click when trying to start

Long time to no see fellas..I just pulled my SLT 750 out of storage and installed a new battery, the craft started just fine and ran great...next time I went to start it up I just got click coming from the electrical box on top of the battery...I repeatedly pressed the start button (7 or 8 times just a click each time) and finally it fired right up. Its been working great but every once in a while I just get a click..hit the button 3 or 4 times and starts just fine....maybe a bad relay?

I would suspect a bad or loose contact at the relay. Have you opened the box to check it out?

Bad relay?
    Bad battery?
    Bad Ground?
    The things to check for
    Try and jump it off

Battery is new and spins the craft over strong and fast so thats not an issue...all connections were cleaned with a wire brush before the new battery was installed..I haven't opened the box yet because I thought I would ask here before chasing my tail...can the relay in the box be opened to clean the contacts or can it be replaced

The relay I spoke of is a starter solenoid. You will see it when you open the elec. box. The big red wires come from the battery to the sol. and then out to the starter. These are the contact points I would be suspect of.

Post #3. Is that your noise?

If so, it is the solenoid making the noise. It could be bad, or it could be a poor connection. la90043 told me to take it off and connect the positive battery cable to the starter motor cable. It is turns over right away, it is the solenoid.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stpolaris View Post
    The relay I spoke of is a starter solenoid. You will see it when you open the elec. box. The big red wires come from the battery to the sol. and then out to the starter. These are the contact points I would be suspect of.
    I guess the Virage is a little different, huh? He should still be able to bypass the solenoid, right?

I'm not familiar with the virage but you still should be able to wire hot to the starter and make it spin. If there is a solenoid you should jump across the two big studs that have the red wires connected to them. This will bypass it and send power straight to the starter motor.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kids3pets View Post
    ...I just pulled my SLT 750 out of storage and installed a new battery, the craft started just fine and ran great...next time I went to start it up I just got click coming from the electrical box on top of the battery...I repeatedly pressed the start button (7 or 8 times just a click each time) and finally it fired right up. ...every once in a while I just get a click..hit the button 3 or 4 times and starts just fine....
    Remove and clean both ends of both battery cables, and both heavy wire connections on the starter relay, which is inside the electrical box.

Make sure the engine end of the negative cable cable is touching clean metal, and the bolt must also be clean.

If the problem doesn't get any better, then replace the relay (solenoid).

If you are still having problems after doing the above, then you may have a corroded connection where the engine bed plate bolts to the bottom of the engine block. Another Fuji engine owner had that problem recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    Post #3. Is that your noise?

If so, it is the solenoid making the noise. It could be bad, or it could be a poor connection. la90043 told me to take it off and connect the positive battery cable to the starter motor cable. It is turns over right away, it is the solenoid.
    No I would thats more of a buzz sound..I just get a click when I press the start button...has not done it for the past few days

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Remove and clean both ends of both battery cables, and both heavy wire connections on the starter relay, which is inside the electrical box.

Make sure the engine end of the negative cable cable is touching clean metal, and the bolt must also be clean.

If the problem doesn't get any better, then replace the relay (solenoid).

If you are still having problems after doing the above, then you may have a corroded connection where the engine bed plate bolts to the bottom of the engine block. Another Fuji engine owner had that problem recently.
    Some good advice here...I will follow it and report back my findings

thanks all

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information