Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Help for a newbie

I have a Polaris Virage 700. I recently replaced the top end. Compression was 120 psi on both cylinders. I started to break it in with a 40 to 1 oil mix plus the oil injection. After the first ten minutes I let it cool. After an hour I went back and pulled the plugs to clean and I checked compression again. the front cylinder was still good but the back one was only 30 psi. I figured I messed it up some how. I replace the cylinder again and honed the cylinder to remove some minor scratches. got back together and 120 on each cylinder again. Went to break it in and had same results on same cylinder. Any suggestions on where I go next. This is getting expencive quickly. I will try to attac pitures. Thank in advance for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9280077.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	139127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9280078.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	139128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9280079.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	139129  

You say you replace the cylinder again? Do you mean you replaced the rings again? I am not the expert you need for this but I believe that rear cylinder is running waaaay too lean.

Oh yeah Chris I almost forgot, Welcome to the Hulk!!!!

I replaced the piston and ring.

Was the piston damaged(scratched and gouged on the sides) or did you just have one handy and chose to change it out? Were the rings tight in the groove of the old piston? I ask these things because it seems like the cylinder in question is running dry and this would cause the rings to sieze in the piston grooves and not make a proper seal needed to create compression.

On both times this happened, top of piston scorched. Rings burnt into piston. Piston completely burnt around edges and rings causing it to loose compression. If it was running dry or even way two lean wouldn't it happen to both cylinders. I am not really mechanically inclined so please be patient with me and my terminology.

See, this is where we need a domestic engine expert. My boat has the blue fuji with a carb for each cylinder. In this case each cylinder and carb. can be different. Based on your reply I presume the 700 domestic has a single carb? If so, you could have an air leak at the rear seal so that cyl isnt getting enough fuel due to a vacuum leak. Hopefully someone with more help will chime in soon.

Yes single Carb. Thank you for trying though.

Have you pulled the carb. to look at the reeds or only deal with the cylinder and piston?

I have not done anything with the reed or the carb. Just changed Piston. Could it be a reed problem?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information