waveraider oil question....

Hello! Quick dumb question. My buddy just bought a 96? waverader 1100, and I guess the guy told him he was supposed to Yama-lube only. Can you use any 2-stroke marine oil?

Thanks

-Justin

If it says Yama-Lube on the ski, use Yama-Lube. I think the catalytic converter can get screwed up otherwise.

Interesting. Thanks for getting back to me. Much appreciated.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    there is no cat on a waveraider. you can use any tcw-3 oil. That being said, the oil injection on that ski a straight 50:1 and it smokes like crazy. to reduce the smoke you should run a good synthetic or synthetic blend. Same deal if you run premix. I prefer amsoil hp injector.

Hey all - new to the forums. I am the (new) owner of above-mentioned ski. I am just curious if it would be a good idea or not if I were to mix the different oils for use in the ski? i.e. buy the cheaper wal-mart tcw3 marine oil and mix it with the (more expensive) amsoil or the yamalube.

Also, I believe this ski has probably not been used a whole lot over the last couple of years and it seems to 'bog out' and die on the low end. I usually have to pull the choke all the way out to get it restarted again. Once I can get it up and running at a higher speed with the choke all the way out, then I can push it back in and it will run fine again. I am wondering if maybe I should rebuild the carbs on it?? Any ideas? If so, is there a preferred place that anyone might recommend that I get the parts from?

Really appreciate any/ALL help!! Thanks Much!!

Quote Originally Posted by jasond32 View Post
    Hey all - new to the forums. I am the (new) owner of above-mentioned ski. I am just curious if it would be a good idea or not if I were to mix the different oils for use in the ski? i.e. buy the cheaper wal-mart tcw3 marine oil and mix it with the (more expensive) amsoil or the yamalube.

Also, I believe this ski has probably not been used a whole lot over the last couple of years and it seems to 'bog out' and die on the low end. I usually have to pull the choke all the way out to get it restarted again. Once I can get it up and running at a higher speed with the choke all the way out, then I can push it back in and it will run fine again. I am wondering if maybe I should rebuild the carbs on it?? Any ideas? If so, is there a preferred place that anyone might recommend that I get the parts from?

Really appreciate any/ALL help!! Thanks Much!!
    I don't think mixing oils is a very good idea. Try to buy one type of oil, and stick with it.

It is NEVER a bad idea to rebuild/ clean the carbs if you aren't sure when they were done last...

To get parts, I normally go to a local boat shop. Try to find one around you. They will normally be cheaper than big shops that are all over the country.

BTW.... Welcome to the forums. There is soooo much knowledge here. I've only worked on waverunners for 2 years (I'm still learning), but a lot of these guys have worked on skis their whole life. GH has a REALLY amazing community!

1996 Waveraider 700

I used the cheap stuff from Walmart on mine for years with no problems at all - it does smoke a bit, but with gas prices what they are you have to cut corners somewhere. And I swear this motor is bullet-proof.

Is rebuilding the carb something a novice like myself should tackle alone? They have never even been cleaned on mine and I know I should do it, but I'd hate to screw something up.

I would pull the carbs and clean them - you can rebuild if necessary. At least new diaphragms (they usually need replacing, but most "hard parts" should be fine)

Once you've done a dozen or so SBN carbs it's a cakewalk - but it takes patience and cleanliness to do at first. There are guides on here I'm sure, and plenty of info.

To reduce smoking, you can block off the oil injection, very easy. I'd also install a primer kit while you're in there on the carbs! Super easy starts. Just richen up your low speed screws a pinch if you do that...

Thanks - tackling this today. It sat for a few years in the lake without running (divorce, new job, yada yada yada). Got it breathing saturday after freeing the frozen impeller (corroded beyond belief and will have to be replaced), rode it pretty gently Monday for about an hour, then when I dropped back down to idle one time it sputtered out like I was out of fuel and wouldn't fire again - engine turned and sounded pretty much like it does when you crank it with the plugs out, no hint of trying to actually fire. Getting ready to pull the plugs and will post a pic somewhere on here if they look unusual.

As far as the cheap oil, I may be wrong, but I give at least some credit to the oily conditions under the hood to keeping this motor alive during its long downtime and neglect (I know - there has to be a better way).

Cool Newbie - Allover!

Quote Originally Posted by kurtwolff View Post
    I would pull the carbs and clean them - you can rebuild if necessary. At least new diaphragms (they usually need replacing, but most "hard parts" should be fine)

Once you've done a dozen or so SBN carbs it's a cakewalk - but it takes patience and cleanliness to do at first. There are guides on here I'm sure, and plenty of info.

To reduce smoking, you can block off the oil injection, very easy. I'd also install a primer kit while you're in there on the carbs! Super easy starts. Just richen up your low speed screws a pinch if you do that...
    Hi Guys.
    I'm brand new to this forum and Jet Ski's (So be Gentle!) , but not engines...
    I have a smokey 1100 and am interested in blocking off the oil injection, as mentioned here? Is it safe to do this, and does the Primer kit help?
    I've only had mine a few weeks, not been on the water yet as it doesn't like to idle.. I guess I need to strip the carbs and re-build?, as compressions are solid at around 110PSI accross all three cylinders.

Thanks in advance all!

Thread Information