95 750 SXI Need Help

Hi I have a 95 750 SXI and I had it out one time and there was no water coming from the bypass hose so I checked lines and they seemed clean. Rode a little more and then the machine started bogging down and I would have to feather the throttle to get it to rev so I figured dirty carbs. Rebuilt the carbs and now the machine will not start. Checked the plugs they are getting fuel and it has plenty of compression and spark. Im not sure where to go from here. Any ideas would be appreciated. Could it be a timing issue maybe a sheared fly wheel key when it did run and bog it would backfire a little.

Thanks, Jim

There should be water coming from there, and you might find that when it is bogging down its because the overheat sensor is cutting revs to your engine think you need to find out whats causing that before you start worrying about other things.

ok thanks no other ideas

Hey man, I have a 1995 SXI and I too am having problems, and it sounds very similar to what you have.

I was running BR9ES (which is a cooler plug than you're supposed to run), and it would start to run poorly at higher RPMs, miss, and stutter, as well as have some power loss after about an hour. I bought the service manual and it recommended BR8ES (which is a hotter plug), and my problem got worse, faster.

I'm guessing it's because the hotter plugs draw more power when they spark because they're hotter, and that the ignition coils are overheating.

Like you, I took the carbs apart and cleaned them. I also thought that there was something clogging the cooling system, so I took off all the lines and blew threw them to see if anything was clogged. Everything was fine.

If I remember correctly, that pisser on the left side of the hull is just a secondary bilge for the exhaust system. Most of it goes out through the pipe. The service manual said that when running from a hose, the water should trickle out of that little pisser on the side of the hull. I'm guessing that means it's always going to just trickle and sputter out (mine does it in little spurts), and that's normal.

But it does seem like it's not right. I have a Polaris Pro 785, and the engine stays really cool and the water shoots out of all three pissers hard. It comes out faster on my Pro 785 at idle than the 750 SXI does when going full speed. I can run the 785 hard, and when I bring it in the engine is still cool to the touch. I can ride the 750 for 5 minutes and come back in, and it's uncomfortably hot to touch.

From the looks of the service manual, the 750 is supposed to run hot. The temperature sensor that limits RPMs is not supposed to kick on until the water temp and the end of the loop reaches 95c (~203f) degrees. I reached around when I was running to touch the water coming out of the pisser with my hand. It was hot, but not scalding hot. 200 degree water would have burned me pretty bad, and it didn't.

I have a new ignition coil coming via UPS. If I can remember I'll come back here and give you an update as to if it fixed it or not.

Any update on your ignition coil?

Still hasn't shipped. Should be good to go for the weekend. At least, that's what they said. Might have to wait, though. As soon as I get the part installed, I'll post.

Finally, an update.

It ran fine for a day, then it started to run bad yet again. I think that the problem is deeper than the ignition coils. I'm going to bring it home for the winter and rebuild everything I can. It'll be good to have the exhaust ports polished and to have some new pistons and rings in there, anyways. It's hard to believe but it's already 14 years old.

Thread Information