Thread: Testing a coil?

Testing a coil?

How do you test a coil on a 95 701?When i hook the ohm meter on the black and orange wire it burys the meter.I don't really understand the schematics

Quote Originally Posted by jrpetrie View Post
    How do you test a coil on a 95 701?When i hook the ohm meter on the black and orange wire it burys the meter.I don't really understand the schematics
    this is a continuity test of the primary winding.. its done with the black and orange and then also done on the secondary winding with the high tension leads (spark plug wires) your book should list the values in ohm's of each circut tested...

(fyi ,on a 650, primary is .092 ohms... secondary is 4.1 ohms ... both tested with coil at 68 deg. F temp)..

set your meter on the lowest ohmage..(1 ohm) for primary reading (1000) for secondary reading... if it then does not fall real close to the designated value ,the coil may be shorted internally

what this wont tell you is if a COIL is breaking down OR shorting,after a short while in use ( a coil heats up thru use, if bad ,it starts to degrade to the point that it will work intermitantly or fail entirely....it may show good again once it cools to air temperature...)... best bet is to have it tested to see if its gone bad... some older shops still carry a load tester to check a unit out... other wise try to find a known good unit for testing..

Thread Information