1996 XP800 electrical problem

My 96 XP800 is dead, new battery, checked the obvious connections and fuses, still a no go. What are the most common electrical problems XP800's have? Where do I go first and so on. Any help is appreciated.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    does it crank or anything at all? need a little more info...

still won't crank or make any noise at all

When I put in a new battery, and checked all connections, then try to start it, it does absolutely nothing, no clicks, no buzzing, not anything at all. It previously ran well with no issues, other than a fried VTS trim motor. Where do I start checking next?

Use a voltmeter to see if you are getting power to the starter solenoid. If not check the grounds along that route and try again. The starting circuit is really simple. Battery+ -> Solenoid -> Starter -> engine ground -> Battery-

If you're getting power to the solenoid+ but not out the other side I would look into the solenoid and the switch itself.

If by "it does absolutely nothing" you mean that, when you install the battery and attach the DESS key, that it does nothing then it may be a faulty key or something in that circuit as well.

Above all don't assume a new battery is a good battery or that a freshly charged battery is a good battery. Always test it properly. I learned that the hard way...

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    do you get the beeps when you put the key on? will the lights on the mulit-gauge turn on if you hit the start button? if not you need to check the fuses in the front gray box. open that up and you will find 2 fuses a 5A and a 15A. there are spares in there if you or someone else hasnt used them. there are also 2 fuses in the rear black box. one for the trim and one for the coil I believe. I think that there are spares in there too.

Thread Information