Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hope one of you is smarter than me

In need of help. Last season I noticed my 2002 GTI 85hp leaking some water somewhere inside the boat. I winterized it correctly and when running the boat off the garden hose the other day noticed a water leak off of what I think is the exhaust. It is on the large elbow that is bolted to the actual exhaust manifold. It is coming from a round thing that appears to be welded into the unit, almost like a freeze plug on a car. The metal seems like it is a very soft metal. There is about a quater inch round hole inside the "freeze plug" looking thing. The freeze plug thing is about 1.75'' to 2'' in diameter. Any help would be great!

Thank you,
    Ed

+1
    Thats a very common issue. You need to have it welded up and it will be fine.

thanks man, i have to get it out of the ski though, one bolt that goes from that unit to the actual exhaust manifold is near impossible to get to.....i've tried everything besides grinding it off. have you experienced this problem?

+1
    I think you are talking about the nut. There are three bolts and a nut on a stud on that manifold. It is a PITA to get that nut off (though I think you already know this).

It has been a while since I had a 717 but I do not remember any special trick to it, just a lot of creative profanity.

+1
    Yup, back it off the stud 1/16 turn at a time.. You will get it most of the way, then it will get stuck on the bottom of the head pipe.. Remove the rest of the bolts and lift the headpipe while still turning 1/16 at a time.

There is a notch in that section of the headpipe, if your lucky, you can get the pipe to rotate and clear the stud without having to remove the nut completely...

it isn't the nut that is giving me the problem. it is the hex bolt next to it. if you're looking at the piece in the pwc, the nut and the hex bolt that is giving me trouble are forwardmost in the craft......the way the manifold curves i can't get anything to turn that one bolt

+1
    Ahh yhea.. it's a 6mm HEX. I have one I have ground down so there is only 1/4" past the turn left. Then it will fit in there....

That, or a ball end hex.

+1
    A good set of metric ball end sockets (at least standard length, long too, but they are hard to find and expensive) and keys (long and short both) are absolutely necessary for working on Sea Doos.

www.mcmaster.com << Is where I buy all my 'Ball End' Allen sockets. They have extended length necks available to get to those knuckle buster places most people dread to go.

Now, if your talking about the (1) Hex Head Bolt which goes in sideways from the Exhaust Pipe cast support into the side of the Exhaust Manifold boss then what I do is take a 13mm deep socket and turn it down in a lathe to make it a 'thin wall' socket to clear the casting of the Pipe Body and get into that tight area surrounding the Hex Head Bolt.

http://216.37.204.206/wps/seadoo_oem...pe=13&A=91&B=1

ITEM #6 8mm Hex Head Bolt

An alternative to a lathe (like everyone has a lathe -- right ?) is to put the 13mm socket in an extension which allows you to rotate it in a power drill.

Then counter rotate it in the drill up against a belt sander to take some matl. off the o.d. of the socket.... Yeah, I know,, but hey, it works.....

I think PPG will weld a new Disc on the Pipe Body for $40/ea. usually the lower backside Disc is ready to break through when the lower front side Disc already has corroded through --- Damn Salt water !

The upper Disc's rarely need replacing because they are well above the lower drain line outlet.

Good Luck...

--David

+1
    I had the same problem while I was out riding.

The next day I had it welded, but I remember using the JB liquid weld as (ONLY) a temporary fix in order to keep riding for the day - worked great in a pinch & no leaks.

Again, dissasembly the pipe & have it welded, it's the right fix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information