Thread: wear ring ?s

wear ring ?s

started vibrating bad at any rpm higher than around 4000 yesterday.

checked for any weeds in the grate or lines wrapped around driveshaft, and there werent any, so I pulled it and looked through the pump tunnel from the grate side.

I could see light around the edges of the impeller..time to replace wear ring, correct? The vibration is from the cavitation caused by too much clearance between the wear ring and the impeller? The wear ring has never been replaced. No nicks on the impeller whatsoever

2007 RXT 74 hours

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    started vibrating bad at any rpm higher than around 4000 yesterday.

checked for any weeds in the grate or lines wrapped around driveshaft, and there werent any, so I pulled it and looked through the pump tunnel from the grate side.

I could see light around the edges of the impeller..time to replace wear ring, correct? The vibration is from the cavitation caused by too much clearance between the wear ring and the impeller? The wear ring has never been replaced. No nicks on the impeller whatsoever

2007 RXT 74 hours
    Vibration can come from alot of things; Damaged impeller, broken motor mount, pump bearings..Never really heard of a ski vibrating from a wear ring, only cavatation.. I'd bet you sucked something up and damaged your impeller, you know how to measure your prop? Pop it out and check your leading and trailing edges, your looking for an obvious difference in measurement between the blades

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    Vibration can come from alot of things; Damaged impeller, broken motor mount, pump bearings..Never really heard of a ski vibrating from a wear ring, only cavatation.. I'd bet you sucked something up and damaged your impeller, you know how to measure your prop? Pop it out and check your leading and trailing edges, your looking for an obvious difference in measurement between the blades
    +1, Yeah the only time that I had a bad vibration was when I had weeds stuck in the intake grate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    +2....Like Alex said..Check the impellor blades for being out of wack..You could have sucked something and bent a blade or two...

ok thanks I will. Does being able to see light around the impeller mean too much clearance from the wear ring? Either caused by impeller or wear ring damage?

+1
    Nope doesnt mean alot..The only way to tell if you have to much clearance is to measure it with a feeler guage and see if its within spec..

Thread Information