Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

For the forum: Bog?

For the forum can you guys explain the definition of Bog, hesitation, lag etc
    associated with carb`d ski`s and efi ski`s.

example: Bogging, too much fuel?, not enough fuel?

from stock to modded ski`s.

when a ski feels lean compared to when rich.

Since there are many different combinations and both carb`s and efi machines out here running this would be a good guide for everyone. This can then be collated into categories. It would be great if we heard from a lot of you guys. Thank You...

+1
    i know my ski had a slight hesitation from a hole shot so i leaned it out on my efi controller on low speed (pod #1) a little and that fixed the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Altezza01 View Post
    i know my ski had a slight hesitation from a hole shot so i leaned it out on my efi controller on low speed (pod #1) a little and that fixed the problem
    thanks Jess, so your saying that hesitation feels like a stutter or more like a bog? did the ski fall flat at that point or just feel mushy?

+1
    Dont forget that a lean seizure can feel like a bog . Especially on the bottom. I am nearly certain most people dont spend enough time tuning in the low end of the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    Dont forget that a lean seizure can feel like a bog . Especially on the bottom. I am nearly certain most people dont spend enough time tuning in the low end of the circuit.
    +1
    although I don`t think the infamous 5700 bog/surge or flat spot is associated with a lean spot. I hear this is normal for the NON PV motors at any efi setting...

Andy, I'm gonna say that the most tale-tale distinction (since a bog/hesitation can happen in both cases of lean/rich conditions) is the sound of the motor. Unfortunately, a lean condition is easier of bikes cause you will also feel the motor surge and rev higher for no reason (without touching the throttle), and similarly at WOT.

On skiis these distinctions are very noticible at low R's since you will hear cracking, blubbering, gurlgling when it's too rich, along with a SLOW pick-up throttle response. And with a lean condition, you won't hear the blubbering, and the throttle response is well, there is none! It hesitates like it wants to cut-out, as if you were applying the kill-switch.

The more difficult detection of a lean condition is at high r's. You might be able to hear a ping though...cause the chamber is getting soo hot, it detonates (combusts BEFORE TDC) before the spark plug sparks at the peak combustion cycle.

In contrast, it's easier to detect a rich condition at high r's cause the motor will not want to reach max. rpm's....which is where plug-chop comes-in...

Just some more thoughts.....I realize it's a bit confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by jim mcgreehan View Post
    Andy, I'm gonna say that the most tale-tale distinction (since a bog/hesitation can happen in both cases of lean/rich conditions) is the sound of the motor. Unfortunately, a lean condition is easier of bikes cause you will also feel the motor surge and rev higher for no reason (without touching the throttle), and similarly at WOT.

On skiis these distinctions are very noticible at low R's since you will hear cracking, blubbering, gurlgling when it's too rich, along with a SLOW pick-up throttle response. And with a lean condition, you won't hear the blubbering, and the throttle response is well, there is none! It hesitates like it wants to cut-out, as if you were applying the kill-switch.

The more difficult detection of a lean condition is at high r's. You might be able to hear a ping though...cause the chamber is getting soo hot, it detonates (combusts BEFORE TDC) before the spark plug sparks at the peak combustion cycle.

In contrast, it's easier to detect a rich condition at high r's cause the motor will not want to reach max. rpm's....which is where plug-chop comes-in...

Just some more thoughts.....I realize it's a bit confusing.
    true and VG info.
    I can also add that when I turn up my first pot past 5 it will blubber when squeezing the throttle until higher R`s and it clears up.

+1
    the reason why mine was hesitating is because of the heat. when it's humid you can lean it out and when it's cool you need to richen it up.

hot weather = less fuel needed
    cold weather = more fuel

also dont forget every ski is different and every efi controller is different.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    not calling you a lier. but i never heard of a ski lean seizing in the lowend. every one that i've seen/heard about was cause in the midrange, not full throttle.

+1
    Pale Rider - rather than writing a book on all causes of these symptoms for both carbed and EFI skis, how about telling us exactly what you're concerned about? It appears you have an EFI ski, so you don't need info on carbs. Right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information