Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marine speakers

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1

Marine speakers

Hey gang, I'm looking to replace my speakers in my boat...I just replaced the head unit and what a difference it made with my old speakers! Only problem is one of the speakers is gone. Not going to lie, I have pretty limited stereo knowledge.

I have four 6-1/2" speakers to replace. Just wondering what brand I should look into...not looking to spend a lot on them. I also wouldn't be against running an amp to power them. The receiver has 4x52 W (Head Unit Link). I also want to put in a sub woofer. Space is tight so I have an 8" enclosure already. Thanks!

go with clarion, it is known for being the best marine audio company. i just installed 4 x 160w clarion component speakers in my glastron cvx-20 with a clarion 720 watt 4 channel amp for each speaker and 4x50 watt head. the thing is loud and super clear. i shopped around with ebay and other sites and picked everything up for about 500$. It's top of the line though and worth it.

they have subs too so you could get a two channel amp which is much cheaper and than just run your subs through that and a couple componant speakers through your head.

i reccomend componant speakers over coaxle and dual cone nomatter what you buy because you get way better quality.

if you have any questions feel free to PM me. im big on stereo stuff.

+1
    Hello Jordan,

Thanks for the reply on the thread...I'll reply on here in case this thread could help anyone down the road. I heard from another site that the Clairons are pretty danged good.

I also heard a recommendation for Pioneer speakers: TS-MR1600

Would you consider these speakers to be a good set of Clairons? CM-1625

I really am not looking to spend a whole lot. My new head unit seems to be pretty decent. It powers my old speakers pretty well but I need an upgrade to the speakers. Would you recommend running an amp to power the 4 speakers? If I did do an amp, I don't feel a marine quality would be necessary as I have an area that would be pretty dry to keep the sub and amp.

Hell, my old head unit was just a regular car stereo and it lasted for probably 10 years.....and probably more since it was the wires that were bad, not the head unit that kept it from working!

I really need them by this weekend so I'm probably going to have to buy the speakers somewhere local and also off ebay or somewhere online. I know the big chain places are very overpriced so I'll just buy both, and return the ones I get online to the chain store. Thank you for your help! Like I said, I really don't have much stereo knowledge.

-Todd

well todd those clarion are probabaly your best bet. if your not afraid to mount another 1" tweeter for each speaker than i'd go with the componant speaker,

http://clarion.com/us/en/products/20...408856107.html

but if you dont want to make a project out of it i'd say those clarions are perfect for what you need. the pioneer's seem like low power and not too attractive. Pioneer is top shelf audio equipment for a car but for a boat not so much. I'd stay with clarion or jensen for marine equipment.

as for a power amp, 100 watt speakers wouldn't be 100% worth hooking an amp up to. you could always get your 4 speakers and than buy a marine sub woofer and amp that. Using car equipment in a boat works, but not always a good idea. Even if you have a dry spot, when you have your cover on your boat the water in your boat vaporizes and gets inside your gear. Marine Electronics are sealed to prevent the water vabor from geting into the unit.

My Point:

Since you want these speakers installed by the weekend i would say order the 4 clarion coaxle speakers and install them, it you feel it's not powerful enough than order an amp to power your speakers or an amplifier. that way you will have music for the weekend yet you wouldn't risk spending unneccisary funds.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmski333 View Post
    well todd those clarion are probabaly your best bet. if your not afraid to mount another 1" tweeter for each speaker than i'd go with the componant speaker,

http://clarion.com/us/en/products/20...408856107.html

but if you dont want to make a project out of it i'd say those clarions are perfect for what you need. the pioneer's seem like low power and not too attractive. Pioneer is top shelf audio equipment for a car but for a boat not so much. I'd stay with clarion or jensen for marine equipment.

as for a power amp, 100 watt speakers wouldn't be 100% worth hooking an amp up to. you could always get your 4 speakers and than buy a marine sub woofer and amp that. Using car equipment in a boat works, but not always a good idea. Even if you have a dry spot, when you have your cover on your boat the water in your boat vaporizes and gets inside your gear. Marine Electronics are sealed to prevent the water vabor from geting into the unit.

My Point:

Since you want these speakers installed by the weekend i would say order the 4 clarion coaxle speakers and install them, it you feel it's not powerful enough than order an amp to power your speakers or an amplifier. that way you will have music for the weekend yet you wouldn't risk spending unneccisary funds.
    Excellent insight...unfortunately nobody around here in Houston has the Clarions in stock. I might have to deal with my three speakers this weekend. I honestly don't want to spend too much money on this setup.

About the amp, my friend gave me a two channel amp. It is a Pioneer GM-X542. Check out the specs on it....

I was thinking of running my left speakers in parallel and my right speakers in parallel to get a bit more power out of the amp due to the lower impeadance...which if I am understanding this correctly, would give each speaker more power than running them with their own connection. My head unit only provides 52Wx4 peak and 17Wx4 RMS.

My speakers in there now can handle 100W PEAK each so they can handle a bit more power than the head unit is putting out. When I turn up the head unit, the speakers cut out...which I presume is due to distortion coming from the head unit. I don't mind only having only balance and no fade on the speakers since I honestly wouldn't mess with that at all.

+1
    Since I'm having a tough time finding something here in town that is in stock that I can use for the weekend, I came across these Alpine SPS-M600 speakers that seem to have a good review. Have you heard of them?

+1
    Polk 650's or the Momo's rock

alpines are nice, i have them in my truck. those specific speakers seem to have a pretty small tweeter. but they will serve they're purpose for sure.

running your speakers in Parallel can be done and will probably increase your speaker power a bit. you could prolly just run your back speakers through the amp which would give you more bass and make up for your front speakers. the back ones seem to always be more noticed anyways. that amp is pretty nice, especially since its free.

it seems like you just want a pair of new speakers that aren't junk. in that case you could go with any pair of 100 watt coaxle speakers from a name brand like jensen, pionner, sony, alpine, clarion ect. and you wont notice much of a differnce between the group

just make sure you get waterproof speakers and since the amp is free use that until it bust's. my dad used a car amp in his boat and i think it lasted two seasons.

+1
    Jmski333 I'm trying to put together my system for the ski and have been thinking about getting these speakers. I know you like the clarion but they will stick out like a sore thumb.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2066KM6...2.html?tp=3384

your gonna put those in your jetski? that will be sick. those have a ton of power. i dont have any experience with those speakers but i must say if they are as powerful as they say than im impressed. They might run your battery down pretty easy though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information