Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Angry 04 RXP only hitting 7600 rpm

This thing is driving me nuts.
    Running x charger, was running S3 when I noticed the problem.
    Since this issue started I've added:
    x-charger w 110 in lb slip
    Rude RRFPR
    new plugs
    oil change
    new carbon seal
    un touched 15-20
    81mm ring
    stainless wear ring
    other goodies in my signature below

All I can get is 7lbs of boost at 7600 on x-charger and didn't have a gauge with the S3 Riva charger. Fuel pressure is 61 idle and 58 at WOT.

Checked coil for cracks, didn't see any
    old plugs were tab - white
    no codes in Buds

what am I missing? Adding Walbro, but dob't believe I'll find 500 rpms there.

I'm lost!!

Banned User
    Boost leak!! Check every clamp, every hose.. When I have issues like that I pull all my shit back out then put it back in and see if it fixes itself..If not you know your looking in the wrong place.. Have you tried running it with the seat off? If you get your RPM's back you got an exhaust leak..
    I was blowing my SC hose off last weekend because I forgot to strap my IC down and my max RPM was 7700RPM..Fixed the IC straps and put the hose back on..bam..8500RPM

+1
    What Alex said ... and my favorite way to check everything for boost leaks is to mix up a squirt bottle with soapy water, pull the air intake off the SC, put a pressure tester from www.siliconeintakes.com on the SC inlet and put 10 lbs of pressure in the whole system while everything is soaked with soapy water. You might be surprised where you will start seeing foam and bubbles ... by far the easiest way to find boost leaks IMO.

I think many people have boost leaks and don't know it ... when you put 10+ lbs pressure thru four silicone couplers, two pipes, an intercooler, and an intake manifold with a blockoff plate, there are MANY opportunities for boost leaks. I have had boost leaks at the BOV, the SC halves, the IC tubing (many times), and the blockoff plate. Some people forget to plug the mounting holes in their XS ICs too.

Sometimes it is the geometry of the IC tubes and couplers (and IC itself) that has to be adjusted, sometimes it is just that the couplers have gotten a little oil on them and need to thoroughly cleaned and reassembled.

One other trick I do is to assemble the IC and all piping with loose clamps and then shove the IC up and forward to get all the IC tubing as up as possible, then tighten down all the clamps and bungy/clamp the IC in place.

+1
    I'll try it again, but seems like it was running fine then everything went to hell in the rpm dept. Vern, I read about your intake manifold leak (at least I thought so). Where did you have the leak?

Alex, where was you exhaust leak?

Just trying to determine where to start looking. Looked for boost leaks before, couldn't find any. My dealer is no help, was not able to offer much except that no codes were set.

+1
    If your fuel pressure doesn't go up at WOT, look for boost leaks. Maybe need that Walbro pump. Also, check the adapter at the fuel tank and orings. These 04-07 RXP sure seem to have alot of fuel pressure issues running a RRFPR. Adding this. If idle pressure was 61 and boost was 7psi, you sholud have seen 68psi at WOT. Atleast thats how my RRFPR works.

+1
    I totally agree how it's supposed to work. Wondering if I have a manifold leak. Just re-installing the stock IC block-off was a PITA, used silicon and the o-ring. What sucks is I can't see much of the manifold.

+1
    Okay. I just don't think you are monitoring your AFRs. Trying to save you from some engine damage. Get the RRFPR working right before you are on here giving us the bad news.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by snowrunner View Post
    This thing is driving me nuts.
    Running x charger, was running S3 when I noticed the problem.
    Since this issue started I've added:
    x-charger w 110 in lb slip
    Rude RRFPR
    new plugs
    oil change
    new carbon seal
    un touched 15-20
    81mm ring
    stainless wear ring
    other goodies in my signature below

All I can get is 7lbs of boost at 7600 on x-charger and didn't have a gauge with the S3 Riva charger. Fuel pressure is 61 idle and 58 at WOT.

Checked coil for cracks, didn't see any
    old plugs were tab - white
    no codes in Buds

what am I missing? Adding Walbro, but dob't believe I'll find 500 rpms there.

I'm lost!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    Okay. I just don't think you are monitoring your AFRs. Trying to save you from some engine damage. Get the RRFPR working right before you are on here giving us the bad news.

If you are running a x charger and xs ic with 42s and a wot pressure of 58lbs you are running lean. With that set-up you are gonna need between 65 and 70lbs at wot. You really need to check your a/f. I bet you will find close to 150 of your lost rpms by turning up the fuel. As far as your pressure not rising, The walbro will fix that.
    Also, I see you changed your oil. How full is it? I have seen people lose 150 to 200 rpms from over filling there oil/

+1
    Trying to get AFR right, Walbro is on order will install when it shows - praying it will make it by 7/2. 6-7 psi at WOT maybe lean, but only pulling for 20-30 seconds max. Running 11 psi at WOT is another story.

Just went thru all the plumbing and didn't find a smoking gun. Plug in IC is there and tight.

(New Plugs with 5-10 mins run time) Color of #3 plug is dark / almost like plain steel, where 1 and 2 are white / tannish. Not enough run time, but makes me wonder about fouling?

Oil level was at the lower end of the safe range, fresh level might be 1-2mm high.

+1
    7 or 8lbs of boost at 7600 is about right. When you get the r's up to 8100 the boost will be 10+.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information