HELP: sl780 trim not working!

so the trim stopped working a few weeks ago on my 96 sl780. I ran 12v to the trim motor and it works so its not that. checked the orange wire up on the handle bar switch while the engine was running and its not getting 12volts. pulled the elec box apart and tracked the orange wire back to a fuse, which is good. with an ohm meter i checked the resistance from the org wire at the handle bars to the fuse in the box and its good. so i went to the other side of the fuse and neither the fuse or the bilge pump wire are getting 12v with the motor running. with the engine off it gets about 3v, when its running it actually gets negative voltage?? That circuit is powered by a little black box mounted to the bottom half of the elec box. could that be the prob? what is the next thing i should check?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyrider View Post
    so the trim stopped working a few weeks ago on my 96 sl780. I ran 12v to the trim motor and it works so its not that. checked the orange wire up on the handle bar switch while the engine was running and its not getting 12volts. pulled the elec box apart and tracked the orange wire back to a fuse, which is good. with an ohm meter i checked the resistance from the org wire at the handle bars to the fuse in the box and its good. so i went to the other side of the fuse and neither the fuse or the bilge pump wire are getting 12v with the motor running. with the engine off it gets about 3v, when its running it actually gets negative voltage?? That circuit is powered by a little black box mounted to the bottom half of the elec box. could that be the prob? what is the next thing i should check?
    Sounds like the LR module has failed (the one with the orange wire).

Hold down the bilge button (if you have one).
    Does the bilge pump now run, and the Trim work?

If the wires to the LR module are not corroded or loose, then the LR module is the likely problem. Buy and install a replacement LR module.

They are available new and used.

so the LR module is the box with the orange wire and i think yellow wire and something else coming out of it? I dont have a bilge button. How can i test to make sure this is the problem? What does the LR module do?

I have the battery wired to a main cutoff switch/key. I am wondering if I should just bypass the trim and bilge directly to the battery so it comes on when i turn the key?

Also I noticed that my circuit breaker isnt connected to anything. It doesn't have any wires going to it at all. Im thinking someone may have tampered with the box.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyrider View Post
    so the LR module is the box with the orange wire and i think yellow wire and something else coming out of it? I don't have a bilge button. How can i test to make sure this is the problem? What does the LR module do?

I have the battery wired to a main cutoff switch/key. I am wondering if I should just bypass the trim and bilge directly to the battery so it comes on when i turn the key?

Also I noticed that my circuit breaker isn't connected to anything. It doesn't have any wires going to it at all. I'm thinking someone may have tampered with the box.
    It does sound like someone has messed with the power wiring.

I don't understand why the Reset button has been bypassed. If it was faulty, it should be replaced. Without the protection of that 15 Amp circuit breaker, there is a risk of an electrical fire if a short was to occur.

I suggest you examine the electrical wiring more closely, and see what else is not normal.

Your battery cut-off switch can be retained, and the rest of the electrical system can stay connected as it was from the factory, with the exception of the Red battery cable, which would route through the big switch.

The SL 780 wiring diagram is in the service manual, and you can also find it here;

How to test CDI, Magneto stator coils & Ignition coils on Fuji engines

The LR module has two functions. It regulates the charging voltage for the battery when the engine is running (should be 13-5 to 14.5 volts). And it switches the Orange wire ON when the engine is running.

If either function is not working, then replace the LR module. They are not expensive used, often $20 or less.

Thread Information