Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

just swithed to premix, sometimes hard to start now!

I have a XR 1800 boat w/twin 1200 engines. I ditched the oil injection since I had to replace a piston and new cylinder due to oil hose popping off. I'm using Yamalube mixed at 40:1. It starts up and runs good when cold, but once they run for a while in the 100 degree weather I have to use the choke to get them fired up. It acts like it's not getting enough fuel when I try to start them hot. I don't remember having this problem until I started premixing the fuel. Does anyone have this problem, or suggestions??? Thanks!

did you plug the holes where the OIL lines use to go? could be sucking air..

yes, I plugged em with the yellow 1/8 caps. I'll check those to see if they are tight. Thanks!

Which Yamalube are you using? The reason I ask is that if you're using the injector oil used for the boats w/catcons (2-W I think) then that may be part or all the problem. You can't pre-mix that stuff-particularly if your carb'd. Do you also find that the motor won't wind-up to max. R's?

Anyway, if the above is true, at least switch over to a semi-synthetic designed for pre-mix and/or switch to a full synthetic and run 50:1.

PS: also, if you're carb'd, did you check to see if your jets are slightly clogged?

Quote Originally Posted by jim mcgreehan View Post
    Which Yamalube are you using? The reason I ask is that if you're using the injector oil used for the boats w/catcons (2-W I think) then that may be part or all the problem. You can't pre-mix that stuff-particularly if your carb'd. Do you also find that the motor won't wind-up to max. R's?

Anyway, if the above is true, at least switch over to a semi-synthetic designed for pre-mix and/or switch to a full synthetic and run 50:1.

PS: also, if you're carb'd, did you check to see if your jets are slightly clogged?

IMO 2-w isnt a bad oil at all for premix... I use on my standup and its perfect.. Are you perhaps thinking that yamaha lube is bad for PV motors?

Quote Originally Posted by zpeters View Post
    IMO 2-w isnt a bad oil at all for premix... I use on my standup and its perfect.. Are you perhaps thinking that yamaha lube is bad for PV motors?
    zpeters, I believe the 'viscosity index improvers' used in the 2-W are too high for regular pre-mix/boats without catcons. Though I could stand corrected, that might explain why when his motor gets hot (and associated fuel temps) the fuel/oil mix either doesn't want to run thru his intake system very freely and wants to separate or gum, or when the VII's are getting thicker, in the cylinder, the motor is close to fouling.

I'm not sure why it's working for you....

PS: the starting circuit jet/choke is typically a larger opening.

yea my standup and the rest of the fellas run great !

Might i can see a switch soon to a synthetic

..are u runnin 2-R, 2-M, or 2-W for pre-mix?

2-w

I'm running the Quicksilver oil, not Yamalube like I had thought. Starts up fine when cold, just takes alot of choke to fire it up when its hot. What do you guys think about the Synthetic Quicksilver for premixing? Oh, both engines rev up fine, all the way to the rev limiter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information