Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

94 SL650 High Idle

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to the PWC world. I had a 93 Yamaha VXR PRO for the last couple years, then sold it. I just bought a 94 SL650 and 92 SL650 this past weekend.

They are in descent shape and they fired right up and idled well when I inspected them, so I decided to buy for $2,000 on a nice Karavan trailer. I thought I got a nice deal?? What do you all think??

Anyway, I was getting the skis ready for some fun this weekend and I fired up the 94 to make sure everything was good still. It smoked like crazy, I assume since it was fogged for the winter and hasn't been in the water and really run yet. But also, seemed like the idle was pretty high....no tach on the unit but I'd guess like 1/2-3/4 throttle. It dies immediately when pulling the lanyard and also if you choke it out it dies (w/ lanyard in) within 2 seconds....so I didn't think it was a lean/runaway/glow-plug condition or air leak?

What are your thoughts? Carbs need adjusted? Throttle cable needs adjusted? Any help is greatly appreciated. This seems like a great site with tons of knowledgable people.

Thanks!

Trey

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click below for service manuals and other useful info.

You can use a clip on tachometer to set idle speed, in the water. Can still be strapped to the trailer, which is also a good way to check for water leaks, and anything else, since you can leave the seat off while they are still strapped on the trailer.

Click here for some introduction info and links.

Work through the maintenance section of the manual, and do some basic engine checks;
    Compression, correct spark plugs, remove and clean both ends of both battery cables, fuel system (hoses, filters, etc).

Ok...went and bought a compression tester after work today (should've done that a long time ago). I tested the compression and back to front they read 107, 112, 110. Everything is within 5% of each othere, so that is good, right? 110 range seems to be good for a ski of this age, correct?

I couldn't check the RPMs as I wasn't able to locate a clip on tach at any of the local parts stores. Anyone have ideas on where to get them?

I started it again and sounded like it was idling high, but then I got to thinking. It is out of the water, and I did have the seat off and the intake silencer/top portion of intake off...so it was pretty loud (inside the garage no less). So maybe the idle is correct and the noise just had me jumpy?

I guess I don't remember my Yamaha idling that high out of water and being that loud (it was only a twin cylinder though).

The fuel system looks good (minus the single outlet pump that is still on there). The hoses have been replaced, and there is no sign of leaks. Battery is strong and connections are good. The plugs are correct and from what I can see, the carbs look clean and the pistons look like they are in good shape (looking through the spark plug hole).

What's everyone's experienced opinion? Take it to the water this weekend and see how it runs? I don't want to start pulling things apart if there is nothing to fix. Any input is appreciated, as always. Thanks for helping out a newb.

+1
    Sounds like you have covered a lot of the basics

Tighten every hose clamp, make sure any hoses or wires that may be loose in the hull cannot get into trouble.

The battery and electrical box must be strapped down, and the plastic battery cover must be in place.

When you take it to the water, don't be in a big hurry to get out on the water. Put the drain plugs in, and check them twice!

Leave it strapped down to the trailer, back it down the launch ramp until the jet pump intake is well into the water (doesn't have to be an exact depth, just so it isn't sucking air into the pump).

Start it up with the seat off (but everything else buttoned up as it should be) and let it run on the trailer while you check for leaks. There is no time limit for this, since it is fully cooled by being in the water.

Pay close attention to the through-hull drive shaft seal. Even if kept well greased, eventually these seals wear out, and must be replaced.

If the front is strapped down to the trailer, so it cannot ride up over the bow roller, you can even open the throttle up, while on the trailer in the water. Go easy at first. Listen and watch for possible problems.

A few seconds at full throttle on the trailer should tell you if the engine is putting out real power. Make sure the brakes are set on the tow vehicle

Look for water leaks, and put your hand on the engine and exhaust system. You should be able to hold your hand on it for several seconds without burning your hand.

Make sure the lanyard kill switch actually stops the engine. Make sure you can re-start it right away, without trouble.

Only after you are sure that everything is working as it should be, should you actually launch, and go out for a test ride. If at all possible, have another boat or ski with you, in case you need a tow.

Know which hose to clamp off before being towed, and take the clamp with you.

Stop and check under the seat several times. Look for water in the bottom of the hull, check engine temps.

Watch for bogging or delayed responses to the throttle.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Trey.

It will idle about twice as high on the trailer VS. in the water. So I'd say your good.

The deal you got is OK as long as the trailer and skis are in good shape. The trailer alone will fetch $500 if it's a double.

110 compression is fine, normally 120 is ideal, so there's little wear on the cyls.

If those skis have the autocock still installed, you need to remove it. It looks like a small fuel pump, usually mounted next to the fuel pump.

They were known to fail and cause a lean condition.

Thanks for the info guys. The 94 does sound like it idles a bit faster than the 92 does, but again I'm only running them for 5-10 seconds max. I'm thinking that if it still has a high idle in the water that the idle just needs to be adjusted as there is a noticable difference in the amount the carbs are opened at 0 throttle between the 94 and 92. I checked the compression on the 92, and it is very similar (105+, 110, 110+).

The double trailer is in great shape (it's a Karavan registered as homemade). It's probably what lead me to get these skis instead of the 95 Yamaha Waiveraiders ($2,700) that were on an actual home made trailer that was mostly made of wood (junk). The hulls are in nice shape, they could use some new decals, but they're nice. The skis seem to be in slightly above average running order for this age. I think I will order two triple-outlet pumps and put them on as soon as they get here. The 92 had a top-end re-build 4 years ago (or so I was told). If I need to rebuild one or both after this season, so be it, I'm up for a challenge and a learning experience; especially with all the knowledgable and helpful people around here.

K447 - thanks for the tips. I will do that when I bring it out the first time. I think I'll take it to the lake instead of the river so I'm not backing up the launch.

Xlint - I'll check for the autococks but I don't think they are there. Also, I noticed that the 92 fuel petcock doesn't seem to work. Major problem?? Need fixed immediately??

-Trey

+1
    I'd replace it. Only a $15 part, but you'll need to get one for a Sea Doo.

They don't sell them for a Polaris anymore.

It is quite possible that pressure can build in the fuel tank and force fuel past the carbs and into the engine.

RARE, but has happened......

Well, I hade the skis out for the first time this weekend. I opted for the lake instead of the river since I didn't know how they were going to run.

Backed the trailer down, left them strapped on and fired them both up. The 92 started great and idled great. No leaks anywhere, let it run and put it WOT a couple of times...everything looked great, engine and exhaust were not hot.

The 94 started great, but is still idling high. Not as high as out of the water though. Also let it run for a bit then went WOT a couple times. No leaks anywhere and the engine and exhaust were not hot.

So....Off me and my bro went to do some riding. No one else on the lake but a couple of fishing boats who may have been pissed about us zipping around (oh well). They ran great all day, probably rode for 3 hours and pushing them fairly hard. After about an hour of riding, I pulled back to shore and put my hands on the heads and exhaust...everything was warm, but not hot (I could definately leave my hand on there for as long as I needed to).

The only things I noticed were:

(1) The 94 idles high...high enough that without giving it any throttle, it is pushing itself forward. And I don't mean putting around like normal, I mean moving forward making a wake. I'm pretty convinced it's just the idle set too high? Thoughts everyone?

(2) The 92 doesn't seem to turn as nice as the 94. It turns, but when you are at speed and trying to turn, it just wants to keep plowing ahead and is not responsive. When in or out of the water, the handles turn freely with no binding. What gives? Is it just something with the older models?

(3) Pardon my ignorance. Do either of this skis have a bilge system? If not, is it a good idea to install one?

Oh yeah, one more thing....I HAD AN AWESOME TIME ON MY POLARIS SKIS! Looking forward to much more riding.

+1
    Glad you had a good uneventful time......

1. Yeah, back off the idle speed adjustment. Should be around 1200-1300 RPM in water.

2. 92 and 93 Polaris used a 146mm (smaller) jet pump. That may be the difference in turning you feel.

You can buy and install a 94 and newer style pump onto the 92 with no problem if it bothers you. Also should add a bit more take off power too.

3. Neither came stock, but you can add one. Not a bad idea.

They do have siphon tubes to extract water from inside the hull.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Treys92 View Post
    ...The 92 doesn't seem to turn as nice as the 94.

It turns, but when you are at speed and trying to turn, it just wants to keep plowing ahead and is not responsive. ...
    Does the '94 have sponsons along the sides of the hull near the rear?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information