RXP Idle problem!

Today I took my ski to a buddies house to change the oil before taking it out to the lake for the 4th. I started it before I left to make sure it would crank after charging the battery and it ran fine. When I got to my buddies house to change the oil, we hooked up the hose and let it run for a few minutes to warm up and it was idling at around 2300 rpm's and when I tapped the throttle to see if it would calm it down it shot to around 5500rpm's and stayed there 3-4 seconds before returning to 2300 rpms. Any idea what might be wrong?

Edit: 2007 RXP 155. bone stock (for now) with approx 20hrs. Fuel is from around last Labor Day, I think that could be the problem but it ran fine when I first started it up.

+1
    Ride in salt water much?

Never. I live in the mountains of NC.

+1
    No salt then I'm thinking it may be a throttle cable problem , Take your hand and manually turn the throttle at the Throttle body, the springs should allow it to snap back, does it?
    Last edited by Rendog; 06-29-2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: just read signature

Yea I checked that, without touching the throttle lever there is actually a little bit of play in the cable. I made sure it wasn't sticking.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterfive0 View Post
    Today I took my ski to a buddies house to change the oil before taking it out to the lake for the 4th. I started it before I left to make sure it would crank after charging the battery and it ran fine. When I got to my buddies house to change the oil, we hooked up the hose and let it run for a few minutes to warm up and it was idling at around 2300 rpm's and when I tapped the throttle to see if it would calm it down it shot to around 5500rpm's and stayed there 3-4 seconds before returning to 2300 rpms. Any idea what might be wrong?

Edit: 2007 RXP 155. bone stock (for now) with approx 20hrs. Fuel is from around last Labor Day, I think that could be the problem but it ran fine when I first started it up.
    maybe its the idle sensor, its more like a selenoid in the throttle body.

Check to see if you have pulled the IAC. Idle speed controller cable off, or if it is loose at all.

isnt the idle rpm out of water 2300... and it water its 1800... am i right about this or no?

Seems a bit high to me. It is controlled whatever the loading on the impeller, not just because there is no load on the impeler it is faster.

Check to see if there is an air leak, or can you see the throttle valve closing completely?
    Last edited by Richieb; 07-01-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: mis-triped... its late here..!!

Take out the IAC, and make sure the conical seat and valve are clean.

Thread Information