Exclamation Polaris SL900 running lean

So I recently bought a 1996 polaris SL900 and put have been running NGK spark plugs. You have to work the throttle in order for you to get it to take off (in other works you can't hold a steady middle or low idle speed), if you don't work the throttle back and forth it will die. Once you get it to take off and set the trim it runs like a champ. We recently pulled the old plugs and they seem to be running a bit rich, so we decided to do a plug test and put new plugs in all three cylinders and ran it full throttle for about 30 seconds. When we pulled the plugs they were very lean. I down loaded the manual for this particular ski and found out that the carbs are keihin CDK II. The manual only shows a low speed screw no mid or high.

let me cut to the chase here. Is there way I can get the ski to idle without having to work the throttle? Is there any way to get the spark plugs to be a little richer? I am very concerned about how lean they looked.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

On these engines, spark plug reading doesn't tell you enough. Piston wash is a better indicator.

You may have clogged carburetors. Click here for some useful info. In particular, read about the gray Tempo fuel lines, and the trouble they can cause.

Do not run the engine hard until you get the problem fixed.

I believe that the gray tempo gas lines have been replaced. Any other suggestions?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by g_magic_tsp View Post
    ...Any other suggestions?
    Have the carburetor(s) been cleaned and rebuilt?

We just finished taking them apart and they look almost brand new. We did go ahead and clean them out with carb cleaner anyway just to make sure there was nothing in there. One of the low end adjustments seemed to be more near to 3/4 of a turn so we adjusted them all to 5/8 and will run the ski. We will try to adjust when we take it out again.

Anything else I should try and check before I head to the lake again?

Thread Information