2000 XP Compression

I have bought a compression tester casue it is a good tool to add to my colection and I tested my compression in both my cylinders. Both had around 123/125 psi. Is this a good number, I know it is good that they are very close, just curious if those numbers are good? And when I test should I have the throttle open all the way? I didnt think about that until I read someones post on compression testing.

Thanks

+1
    You can try it with the throttle wide open (but, it does not normally make any difference).

The compression is on the low side, BUT, with the variation in guages and conditions (battery charge, starter strength, ect) it is hard to read much from the first test of an engine. This is your baseline and you can either go with it or try to borrow another guage (and or type) to see if there is a difference.

If the engine runs well then you should probably just go with it.

Then, if there is an issue and you see a drop from your baseline with the same guage, you have usefull data.

like he said not ideal but not horrible..i have seen skis run with as low as 100psi..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 54lariatxp View Post
    I have bought a compression tester casue it is a good tool to add to my colection and I tested my compression in both my cylinders. Both had around 123/125 psi. Is this a good number, I know it is good that they are very close, just curious if those numbers are good? And when I test should I have the throttle open all the way? I didnt think about that until I read someones post on compression testing.

Thanks
    The guage needs to be a screw in type fitting that takes up the volume inside the combustion chamber just like a spark plug would when the engine is running .This gives the most accurate reading, I like to have my engines warm when testing for accuracy and power valves held down with the throttle held wide open while cranking usually for 5 seconds with a good strong battery.

I pull both plugs out together so as to get maximam cranking revolutions from the starter motor.Log the numbers in the hand book for future reference. 123/125 is fine for a stock engine, if your revs are up around 6850-6900 you are good.

Thread Information