Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting fed up

Getting fed up

Just bought a 96 GTX 3 weeks ago. Test drive was awesome got around 52 or so on it, looked clean as hell, couldnt pass it up for 2200.

First weekend at the lake was awesome, no problems ran fine. Second weekend after about two hours riding it would run past 40 mph or 5k, kept surging bad.

What I don't understand is this thing had 114 hrs and then all of a sudden 6 hours later starts acting up. great my luck..

after looking around found the gray lines might be the culprit. changed them out, cleaned fuel selector valve, cleaned raves and cleaned fuel spin off filter. Pulled carbs and cleaned filters as well.

Questions:
    1. should I have used locktight when reinstalling the carbs?
    2. I didn't see any external adjustments, are there any?
    3. Don't really want to have the carbs rebuilt just yet, a: I'm scared to mess with them b: shops around here are 3 weeks out ... so am I good with just a cleaning?
    4. I read something about a fuel check valve, which I did not clean it, where's it at?

Anyhow, After all that the surging went away however this thing will not run over 6k with top speed of 45 on glass.

5. I did notice that one butterflies were off by like a 1/16th of an inch so I didn't think so much of it. Could this be that big of an issue?
    6. Whats the best way to align these back up

Almost finished.... While making sure the seadoo was running before I took it out to the lake the next day I ran it on the hose for a few minutes. Well I noticed a little bit of water leaking out of the tuned pipe... didn't think too much of it, went to the lake and ran a tank through it

Well searching the net tonight I found out this is not a good thing, how lovely
    7. more than likely I am going to take it off and have it welded by someone who knows what they are doing with a tig. I noticed some people just weld up the hole and noticed that some cut a piece of aluminum and weld around it, whats better? How should I go about telling someone to fix this
    8. Should I have both little round spots fixed even though one is leaking?
    9. Does this have any effect on performance?

and finally
    10. How do I get this thing back running where it is suppose to be

Sorry for all the questions I hope someone can answer some of these, because I am about to just sell the damn thing.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

I am not a Sea-Doo guy, but have you checked the compression?

Just bought a 96 GTX 3 weeks ago. Test drive was awesome got around 52 or so on it, looked clean as hell, couldnt pass it up for 2200.

First weekend at the lake was awesome, no problems ran fine. Second weekend after about two hours riding it would run past 40 mph or 5k, kept surging bad.

What I don't understand is this thing had 114 hrs and then all of a sudden 6 hours later starts acting up. great my luck..

after looking around found the gray lines might be the culprit. changed them out, cleaned fuel selector valve, cleaned raves and cleaned fuel spin off filter. Pulled carbs and cleaned filters as well.

Questions:
    1. should I have used locktight when reinstalling the carbs?
    You dont have to use locktite
    2. I didn't see any external adjustments, are there any?
    there are idle and wot adjustments
    3. Don't really want to have the carbs rebuilt just yet, a: I'm scared to mess with them b: shops around here are 3 weeks out ... so am I good with just a cleaning?
    better than nothing but rebuilding is something that you can do..just order carb kits then on a clean flat surface dissassemble and pay attention to what order they come apart in and rebuild with new diaphrams and orings and filters exactly the way you took them apart..I would start with a compression check tho as mentioned by the other poster
    4. I read something about a fuel check valve, which I did not clean it, where's it at?
    i doubt this is your problem

Anyhow, After all that the surging went away however this thing will not run over 6k with top speed of 45 on glass.

5. I did notice that one butterflies were off by like a 1/16th of an inch so I didn't think so much of it. Could this be that big of an issue?
    6. Whats the best way to align these back up
    never had to realign any and i have seen them out farther than that

Almost finished.... While making sure the seadoo was running before I took it out to the lake the next day I ran it on the hose for a few minutes. Well I noticed a little bit of water leaking out of the tuned pipe... didn't think too much of it, went to the lake and ran a tank through it

Well searching the net tonight I found out this is not a good thing, how lovely
    7. more than likely I am going to take it off and have it welded by someone who knows what they are doing with a tig. I noticed some people just weld up the hole and noticed that some cut a piece of aluminum and weld around it, whats better? How should I go about telling someone to fix this
    if you are talking about the freeze plugs we always cut them off flat then weld a piece of aluminum over the hole
    8. Should I have both little round spots fixed even though one is leaking?
    depends on how much you get charged for it...worth while...dont forget to get a new exhaust gasket for reinstall
    9. Does this have any effect on performance?
    not unless it allows enough water in to sink you or its so bad it burns the pipe

and finally
    10. How do I get this thing back running where it is suppose to be
    compression test..carbs..its gonna be one of these (you should hope its the carbs )

Sorry for all the questions I hope someone can answer some of these, because I am about to just sell the damn thing.

+1
    Run it with the seat off and watch for any water spraying around ... some of these skis leaked water from the rubber boot on the exhaust and it sprays directly on the carbs ... not good ... there is a fix for it though (not sure, never owned one). I saw this on my friends skis and warned him he really needed to fix that ... he did not bother and blew up both skis that summer. Take a look, easy fix, but don't ignore it if you have this ...

+1
    A loss of a grand in RPM is about right for an internal water leak in the exhaust.

But, check the carbs first.

It is possible that someone had messed around with the low and high speed adjusters on the carbs trying to get it to run right to sell it. You need to find the adjusters and re-set them.

The low speed has a "T" handle and the high speeds should have a limit cap on them (though that may have been removed to try and get more fuel from a clogged system).

The L/S screws should be 1 &1/4 turns out from closed. Remember, each swap of the bar on the "T" is half a turn. The H/S screws should be closed.

If I recall correctly, the H/S screws are on the top and the L/S screws are on the bottom of a 787. Top being facing you as you look down at the carbs as mounted.

Tuned pipe exhaust leak

Some may turn up their noses, but this is what i did with an 96 SPX with a rotted freese plug.

1) took out the exhaust
    2) drilled out the hole to clean metal
    3) sanded the surface to metal, 60 grit leaving deep scratches in the metal
    4) propped the pipe on the benchm hole up and level
    5) dripped melted candle wax thru the hole until I had built up a nice layer on the inner pipe in an area larger than the hole.
    6) quickly filled the hole with JB WELD
    7) piece of wide packing tape over the JB WELD
    Flipped it over so the hole was straight down and let it cure

I figured glueing the inner and out pipes together with teh JB WELD would fail with heat and expansion, but the wax created a floor to hold the JB WELD off the inner pipe and I assume melted off and out with the hot water the first time I used it.

Has held now for 2 seasons, for $4

Thanks for all the quick replies, tonight I will do a compression check.
    1. Do you take both plugs out?

After that I will probably take the tuned pipe out so I can get it repaired.
    I've head horror stories of breaking bolts on the exhaust, is there where they are talking about?
    2. Do I need to use locktight on these bolts?
    3. Can the exhaust gasket not be reused with a little rtv? I was kinda hoping to get this thing back on the lake but if I have to order it I will wait
    4. What size is the bit used for these bolts so I am not using my torx bits

After doing all this I noticed she runs a little rough in water than previously
    5. What should the idle be out/in water? I think it was around 1500/900
    6. Which carb are those idle/wot adjustments on, I could of messed them up the first time messing with them
    7. Should I take out the hs/ls adjustment screws and squirt some cleaner through there?

Hopefully these are the last of my questions thanks guys

+1
    My dad had two of these back in the day. We had problems with them running funny for a while. Come to find out the fuel tanks had been recalled, because the necks would crack and splash fuel into the hull. Causing the ski to be flooded and be straved of air. Check and see if this recall was ever performed. Just my two cents, and when we had it done seadoo payed for everything.

+1
    I had a 97 GTX. RAVE valve issues. Water leak at exhaust manifold to pipe. Lake test with the seat off. Go WOT and check for the water leak.

Alright so I got the pipe off.... nice only took 2 hours. Well I had moved one of the oil lines barely which ended up breaking the brass fitting on the oil pump.... WOW

So right know I am looking for a decent deal on one of these, and will install it during the winter. So right now I am planing to go to premix, already purchased tuned pipe gasket (and other gaskets I guess) as well as a block off kit. Will run premix for the remainder of the summer till I can afford the pump. anyone have any tips, suggestions, maybe I should stick with premix, or why i shouldnt, ect? whats the cheapest synthetic oil I can use it this POFS doo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information