Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 Kawasaki ZXI 1100 - Will not start

Hello,

I recently recovered a 96 ZXI 1100 after 8 years of having been stolen from me and suprisingly the engine ran great. All I had to do was replace the battery and I was on the water. I rode the ski for several weeks without incident and now I cannot get the ski to start. The only thing I recall doing any different that may have caused the problem is that I used a piece of rope as the thether switch and rode the ski for about 5 minutes last week. After I shut the ski off I never got it started again. I continued to try to crank the engine over but it would not start and stay on. It did start twice again briefly but then shut off immideately. Ultimately I didn't have enough battery and decided to put her up. Now, it won't crank over at all. Help! Can anyone give me some advice on how to determine the problem and solution to fix it if possible.

So far I have ..

1. Taken my volt meter and checked the battery. I have good connections and a strong battery.
    2. I have opened the switch and I checked for power on the wires leading to the switch and know I have power but not sure how to diagnose the problem.
    Can anyone help me with how to diagnose this issue? Any tips or input will be greatly appreciated. Also, if I can get the ski started I just replaced the plugs and would also like to replace the fuel filter...if I can find it. Where is that thing? I have looked hard as its hard to work on but I'm learing.

Thanks in advance.

Rudy

+1
    bump this thread... up!

Any ZXi owners have any idea of what could be going on with this ski?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    uhhh 8 years later?...details on that recovery would be an interesting read.

could be anything, so start with the basics.

The fuel filter is inline and should be nera the carb inlet..may have been removed during it's "vacation"

check it out on a parts diagram..click OEM parts on the left and wangle you're way to the specifics of the carbs.

throw some fresh plugs in there to start..and go thru the electrical connectors...

8 years is a long time with somebody with low character.

I saw in another thread on here or on another site where someone was having problems with the kill switch. It sounds like you are having the same problem, I would try a new switch. If it worked fine the first few times out when you got it back spark plugs and a fuel filter are not the problem. Which honestly I've never heard of spark plugs or a fuel filter stopping anything from turning over but eh, what do I know?

1996 zxi 1100 starting issue

here is my issue,,

my ski will start if i take a screwdriver and short the battery wire to the starter wire,,,

it will not start thou with the green start button, i can shut it off with the kill switch or the electronic key.

i have check the switch and cleaned it but still nothing... checked the fuses and are ok..

help??

Quote Originally Posted by Alcatraz View Post
    here is my issue,,

my ski will start if i take a screwdriver and short the battery wire to the starter wire,,,

it will not start thou with the green start button, i can shut it off with the kill switch or the electronic key.

i have check the switch and cleaned it but still nothing... checked the fuses and are ok..

help??

Starter Solenoid problem maybe?

I had a similar problem with my GP 1200. Turned out to be the starter relay. Get a multi-meter and check your voltage at the positive battery terminal. It should read 12V. Now trace the battery cable from the positive terminal to the starter relay terminal and check the voltage there. It too should read 12V. Now, with the lanyard in place and starter button depressed, check the voltage on the other starter relay terminal. If it reads 0V (like mine did), it is likely the relay. I replaced the starter relay (about $50 @ Riva) and it cured my problem. Good luck.
    Bob

Smile

Check the starter relay first,if not that since you said it died,it leads me to think that the connections coming from stator to electric box ,there is a two bolt cap that holds the connections in electric box ,remove the 2 bolts 10mm wrench,then check both plug in connections,the brown black brown is the charging,your problem will be in the 4 color wire plug.just unplug it,clean plug them together and put a small tie wrap between the 4 wires around both plugs where they cant come undone,kawasaki relays are weak,thats gonna be the problem,either relay or 4 wire plug >Marvin

Thanks for the suggestions on the issue with my jetski, I took it to a mechanic who said it appeared my electrical box got wet and as a result he suspects the conectors inside got corroded and that"s why we cannot get the motor to crank, He is unsure how to proceed with the repair aside from reoplacig the electrical box. Would you agree this may be the issue and this is how we should procceed?

Is the electrical box like the distributor in a car? Can it be removed and replaced easily or are we looking at some serious cash?

Thanks fior bumping up my thread. I got some good tips and we're narrowing down the issue. Seems to be something with the electrical box.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information