excessive rotary wear?????

ok i fixed the coil ground and the plug wire corrosion, but the my ski still isnt running ...im stumped...i borrowed a buddys manual for the ski and i looked at the trouble shooting to not starting. I went down the list and narrowed it down to 2, excessive rotary vave wear and replace mpem ......when i was checking the timing the rotary valve felloff so that makes me thing it is worn. Its a remanufactered motor but i used the rotary valve and cover......what causes these to wear? does it mean the rotary valve has been worn thin???? and how does it wearing make it not run???.......i hope it isnt the mpem i heard those can get very $$$!!!!!!!

any advice? or suggestions??

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Falling off isn't wear at all. It runs on an oil film, and when you pull the intake, it naturally sticks to the intake cover. Have you actually measured the clearance? They only wear from two things, running a carbon fiber valve, or sucking dirt/debris through the carbs.

I'd be more inclined toward the MPEM as the culprit.

na i havent measured the clearence, i dont have any feeler gauges. ill get some and check it though.......i did open the mpem box today and everything was beautiful, no corrosion, no mildew, no water. Everything looked brand new and none of the fuses were blown........do u replace everything in the box when u replace a mpem? or is it one certain thing in the box that you replace? .........what are signs that the mpem is bad?

and i know u all think im a dumbass and i dont knwo what im doing but im 16 and i got this ski when i was 13 and replaced the motor, cleaned the carbs, and rebuilt the jet pump all by guidence by a repair manual and i didnt know anything about a jet ski netiher did my dad the 1 that helped me, so if i seem like i dont know anything then plz dont call me stupid shit (im referring back to my last thread) i like to think im doing good for some1 who dosent know much, thats my i got a account here to learn not to be told off

You are doing good then man! My apologies.

The MPEM will have no visible signs that it's bad, it just fails to work. What causes it to fail? Jumping the ski off with a car/truck while the engine is running, or using a battery charger set to "jump" position. Or charging a ski, battery connected, with a charger set above 2 amps.

Just the MPEM needs replacing. The CDI, and rectifier, do not normally fail when the MPEM does.

o ok then, if the mpem has to do with charging then y would that keep the motor from starting up?
    i think it might be the mpem because last time i ran the ski in water , i crunk up , i let it run for about five mins then it shut off the that battery was dead. I thought it would have charged a little bit

ill check the clearence on the rotary valve before i replace the mpem but if so what is a good place to get a new mpem for a good price??

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by juggaloXPracer View Post
    o ok then, if the mpem has to do with charging then y would that keep the motor from starting up?
    i think it might be the mpem because last time i ran the ski in water , i crunk up , i let it run for about five mins then it shut off the that battery was dead. I thought it would have charged a little bit

ill check the clearence on the rotary valve before i replace the mpem but if so what is a good place to get a new mpem for a good price??
    Talk to Wayne "The Wayniac" I got a good used one from him the other day. The MEPM controls the ignition timing and spark thats why its not firing. could it be a bad rectifier forthe dead battery SS?

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Talk to Wayne "The Wayniac" I got a good used one from him the other day. The MEPM controls the ignition timing and spark thats why its not firing. could it be a bad rectifier forthe dead battery SS?
    It could be the rectifier...but he has to get it runiing first to verify the charging circuit.

ok does that wayne dude have a membership here on gh? or is he on another web site?

and when i took the motor out b4 all this happened i cleaned the magneto , it was covered in like a black gunkish stuff

the magnet was covered in it that might be why it wasnt charging. Ive done alot of work to this skit. When i got it the person i bought it from ran the hell out of it. The piston skirt broke off and the peices went into the bottom end and they keapt riding it and it ground the peices up and it was all inside the engine. It looked like metallic sand all inside the block and the rod bearing went so it also had a cracked block. The jet pump looked liek they rode it threw rocks , the impeller was dinged up and mis shaped pretty bad and there wasnt no cap on the jet pump so there wasnt any oil and when i rebuilt the jet pump the bearings came out in rusted peices. the gray fuel lines had started to deteriote and the internal fuel filter in the carbs was clogged so i cleaned the filters and replaced the lines with synthetic racing lines and i cleaned out the gas tank it had water in it. I use to say ive been thru everything and nothing else could break but i guess i jynzed myself lol its come a long way but its getting there

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    yes he does have a GH membership here

http://greenhulk.net/forums/member.php?u=810

Thread Information